Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

No way would I replace that before I tried one of several repairs. If it has structural issues, such that it's soft and flexes a lot you can replace some of interior stringers and then Raptor line to seal it. It won't be the easiest project, but you will save a ton of money.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Some of the Ford EB tops do sag a bit in the rear even off the line when they were doing them. However it's also possible the PO left the rear hook on and tried to lift the top and bent the bars. There are a few threads on how to re-bend the PH bars. Most of the PH tops had chrome moly inserts. They can be bent back. SMB has a jig they used to re straighten them. I also agree to resurface the top and use a good spray liner to re-coat the top. Not sure if anybody is making the replacement "T-nuts" but they may need to be replaced. Mine are still the stock SMB style but I had my top coated early on and are covered by the liner. If the top has been leaking for a long time, chances are you'll need to make sure there is no mold in it as well. At least one member had complained about that in the past. He had the whole top repaired at SMB but I don't know how much it cost him to repair it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #13

if the seller will reduce the final asking price of the van by the amount it will cost to replace, I don't know why you would not go the replacement route. Just replace it and get it done right the first time so you have no future worries or issues with it and knowing it got done right.
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator View Post
if the seller will reduce the final asking price of the van by the amount it will cost to replace, I don't know why you would not go the replacement route. Just replace it and get it done right the first time so you have no future worries or issues with it and knowing it got done right.
I have a project SMB with a PH top that was taken to SMB west to repair a leak. They had it for a week and found no leak. The sagging interior roof, water inside the van and stained canvass tells a different story. This was before I purchased it.

Now I have had the pleasure of cutting open the fiberglass and replacing rotten soaked wood core.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #15

Gooseberry, I haven't started yet (next week) but can you explain to me what you mean by fix the "washer on washer." Thanks.
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #16

Do a search on leaky tops....lots of threads that go into details...R&R top washers/bolts with appropriate sealant
This is a starter
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...king-7542.html
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote