Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #11

Penthouse Latch Damage?

My 98 SMB had a fabric flap that covered the rear latch when it wasn’t being used. Looks like yours might have had it at some point, too. That’s what those two snaps behind the latch were probably for. I’ll see if I have a pic somewhere. And I like the inner clothesline idea. Might implement that!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #12

Garage
Thank you! I'm going to move on to a new obsession. Think I'll tackle best way to recondition the fiberglass outer shell now. 😂
Amy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy V View Post
I'm going to move on to a new obsession.😂

...you're in the right crowd.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #14

Amy: Feel free to loosen the roof bolt a smidgen so that the chain link can rotate..won't hurt anything...assuming the nut on the end of that bolt is a locknut.

Also, the J hook itself can be screwed in/out to get a nice firm latch. You may need to adjust the J-hook threads once you get the chain link to move. The chain link won't hang vertical but it should rotate.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
To add to my previous post, my van has an electric top and I had the rear (EB-50 model) J-hook turn sideways and hang up on the tied down point as I lifted the top. The J-hook was so loose it was easy to turn. After having the PH bars straightened at Sportsmobile, I added a bit of pipe tape to the hook bolt so it wouldn't turn so easily. Now I always keep an eye on the rear hook to make sure it clears. It could be specific to my build though, so YMMV. Also I've noticed my top doesn't always come down perfectly centered all the time and if the top is off to one side or another, a latch will feel too tight or too loose. I might have to push the top into the correct position if it's being affected by being off camber or high winds.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #16

Garage
This, of course, prompted me to go out and look at the rear latch on my van. The chain is attached the same way. The chain looks to be twist link. This might be why the hook hangs like it does. For any serious rigging the bolt through the link with a side load would be right out. Chain is not rated to be loaded in that manner. For the purpose of attaching that lever it will serve. Properly done would be to replace that hex head cap bolt with an eye bolt with a small eye. Use a rapid link or two to attach to the lever.
Attached Thumbnails
C01E4D33-594C-4428-A9FE-14F6842FFA30_1_201_a.jpg