Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #1

Roamly RV Insurance

My AWD Transit pop top build will be done soon.

Does anyone have experience ROAMLY Insurance? Online reviews seem to be good. So far they are approximately 30-40% cheaper than Progressive and State Farm. They know that I purchased the cargo van, then Field van pop top and smaller van builder.

Any input is appreciated!

cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #2

Hi! We just bought a used van and after a lot of research we went with Roamly. I found their prices to be on the much cheaper end of things, and their customer service (talking to them on the phone) to be excellent, and their website to be easier to navigate. Hopefully we made the right choice!
Shaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:24 PM   #3

I recently with Roamly, needed 250/500 liability limits so they underwrite it through progressive, went with agreed value which State Farm does not offer. Also was able to add theft/damage rider for my 9K e-bike for $38 a year. I thought it would be covered under my homeowners. The trend in California is 1 or 2% of your homes insured value deductibles on your HO policy. At 2% leaves me with a 14K deductible. Yikes!!

Premium with agreed value, higher limits and bike was still about $500 less than State Farm and $400 from progressives direct quote, also includes road side assistance and other minor perks. Van has to be within two years of new purchase date to qualify for the agreed value. They will allow that value for 10 years on a new van.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #4

Same here, only great experiences with them so far. No need for any claims yet but I was able to insure my build for the actual value, not the value of a 2011 passenger van. Good rates.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #5

The only personal experience advice I would be looking for would be experience with claims. They all are good with giving quotes, talking to customers and taking your money.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:24 PM   #6

Not really true. With a self built van most companies will only insure your vehicle for the replacement value based on KBB or NADA. I have been with Allstate for years and they couldn't even help me with a referral. State Farm locally was also zero help. Geico, nope. Progressive, nope.

You can take the time to do to DMV and reregister your vehicle as an RV and then they might take your money.

Roamly was 100 percent created to insure self built vans because it is the sister company to Outdoorsy. They couldn't build a rental platform if their users aren't going to be insured.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #7

I can confirm that my van is still titled as originally purchased, cargo van. Roamly does not require a switch to RV title. In California I have heard the switch to RV can be done, yet may net different results. Ideally lower annual registration costs. Possibly higher costs if the DMV adjusts the value of your van. It would be great to hear from any with actual experience?
Old 09-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
The only personal experience advice I would be looking for would be experience with claims. They all are good with giving quotes, talking to customers and taking your money.
I sort of agree with this. While the upfront experience is certainly important, we should not overlook how claims are handled.

In my experience (perhaps it is just my particular State Farm agent), the upfront experience of getting everything quoted and policies purchased was pretty mediocre. But the prices were good so we went with SF.

A couple years later we had our first claim, and... the process was an absolute joke. Got tossed around to 5 or 6 different groups within State Farm because nobody knew what was going on. It took 5 hours to get a tow truck to the car after we got rear ended. Nobody could tell me exactly what was and wasn't covered.

It was bad enough that it is now on my to-do list to find a different insurer. Even if it means we pay a little more.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:42 PM   #9

My daughter, an insurance agent, says we are only kidding ourselves if we think there is such a thing as "stated or agreed value." Does anyone with an older Sportsmobile, but still highly customized, 4x4, low mileage, costly to replace, etc. have any experience or first-hand knowledge of how and where to go? Renewal is coming up, so I want to make sure I am reasonably covered.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:59 PM   #10
Spr

Progressive has sportsmobile models in their database. When I had my Sportsmobile it was actually insured as a 2010 RB-50 4x4. This was comforting because in the event of a total loss you could always tap into the documented resales on the Sportsmobile website to prove “value”. I now have a sprinter and even though I changed title to an RV I hate the thought of dealing with a claim.