Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Shurflo city water inlet

Regarding the Shurflo water inlet prob most of the factory SMB conversion have (mine is 2005 Ford Econ SMBEB50), this one...

"SHURFLO 183-029-14 Pressure Reducing City Water Entry"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine developed a crack a couple years back and I replaced it. I figured age did it in but did recall I had recently been skiing and van was parked overnight a few nights in below 20* temps. I was not camping in the van but do leave the furnace on lowest temp to keep the interior items from getting too cold.
Fast forward to this year and the new unit has again developed a leak...no surprise this time as again it failed on the next camping trip after a skiing trip in sub 20* temps, almost exactly as before.

I have searched the forums and it seems the only remedy that might help it live through these conditions is to drain the water system.

Is this still the only suggested prevention? Any suggestion as to making this thing live through sub freezing temps is appreciated.

rarrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #2

Garage
I believe there is likely a drain petcock just at the bottom of the H2O line from the inlet. That should't be too hard to reach or drain. I've replaced my leaker unit. It was easy and cheap. Do it often.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

East to do with compressed air and a blow-out plug. Look online for videos. This is what I use (you can get them with standard Schrader valves too).

Camco Blow Out Plug With Brass Quick Connect-Aids in Removal of Water From Water Lines (36143) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IEA...MJJ1JP12?psc=1
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #4

I just changed mine out. And indeed it was 18F overnight in Moab back in Dec that sealed the deal. I was running my furnace as well.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #5

I've replaced a couple of these. Seems like I added a drain under at least one van with a one-way valve to drain it from the backside to try to prevent freezing. i don't remember exactly now but I got pretty frustrated at how cheaply those were made. There's got to be a better option out there nowadays, that thing was designed in about 1975.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

I put a check valve inside the van, so that I could fill the water tank and still keep the water fill pipe on the outside drained.

I also insulated the pipes as I was at it. The check valve is before the line that goes from tank to hot water heater and sink on the other side of the van.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I've replaced a couple of these. Seems like I added a drain under at least one van with a one-way valve to drain it from the backside to try to prevent freezing. i don't remember exactly now but I got pretty frustrated at how cheaply those were made. There's got to be a better option out there nowadays, that thing was designed in about 1975.

hmm, I've got a standard SMB interior build and have a drain underneath the water tank and a drain beneath the Shurflo. If I understand you correctly, just open the drain in the supply line to void it of any residual water to prevent the shurflow from cracking if it's below freezing?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #8

Correct, I think. I'm sorry but I did this long ago but that should work and I'm pretty positive that's what I did.

Scalf's idea above is a good one too.

Here's yet another good idea. Buy a spare and throw it in your van somewhere, especially if you frequently camp below freezing. At $35 it's not real cheap but not bad considering what a headache it is if it dies on a trip. It's about the most fragile part of an SMB water system.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #9

After filling and it's gonna be cold, I leave the cover/cap off allowing any water in there to expand when it freezes. I need to look at a check valve...
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

Thanks guys,
I def plan to keep a spare. But avoiding the inconvenience would be nice.
I figured just draining and leaving that way during the times the van is gonna be used this way (parked in sub freezing) is best.

Is it safe to assume they survive the cold pretty well if simply drained (ie that the expansion of water is the culprit and not additional brittleness of the materials?)

Thanks!
rarrace is offline   Reply With Quote