Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #1

Sportmobile getting Rhino Lined: How do I prep the Pop top & Solar?

Hi, I have a 2010 E350 Sportsmobile getting Rhino Lined: How do I prep the Pop top & solar panels?

I have 200 amp hour, AMG batteries and 2x 100w panels. I talked to SMB and they said I would need to remove the bolts and cut the wire to the solar (one at a time with power off to keep from popping a fuse). I have an automatic pop top.

The question I have is: Will the pop top still be able to go up and down even with the solar panels removed, and if so, how? Can I turn the power back on to the house system and start the van to raise lower the top?

Thanks for any help,

Mordi

MordikaiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:50 PM   #2

Sure...solar wires have nothing to do with the top going up and down. There aren't any connectors on the solar wires on the roof?

If you have to cut the wires you can install MC-4 connectors when you put the panels back on. Renogy sells them and they are also readily available on Amazon and Ebay. You'll need crimpers to install the connectors but they are cheap too.

The solar panel wires should have connectors on them. Squeeze the connectors and pull them apart.

If you have a powered top, the wires to the top actuators are inside the van under the upholstery; they aren't on the roof.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:07 PM   #3

Thanks @boywonder, much appreciated. I'll take a look for the connectors. I originally asked the sportsmobile folk if there was a connecter and they said I'd have to cut it. I thought that was weird also.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:14 AM   #4

I too am going to Rhino or Raptor liner some day. What made you decide on Rhino?
Would mind saying how much this costs?
Can you also share before and after pics?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:22 AM   #5

There could be a good chance that SMB didn't use the standard MC4 connectors and just butt jointed wires. If so, as boywonder said if you cut them and add MC4 connectors. I imagine the panels were wired in parallel, so you will need a Y or parallel adapter, which can also be found on amazon. I would cover the panels before cutting the wires along with turning off the solar controller.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #6

Rather than cutting the wires, I would try to remove the panels leaving them connected, and finding a way to suspend them off the roof possibly by folding them back to the rear doors. I would also cover them with something to keep overspray off.
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I imagine the panels were wired in parallel, so you will need a Y or parallel adapter, which can also be found on amazon.

Renogy also sells the Y or parallel adapters as well.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:29 PM   #8

@blair, I decided on Rhino liner because it has a lifetime warranty vs Raptor lining and there is a shop near me and Rhino liner is their specialty.
Full Van Rhino lining with tax is just a little over $5k.

Thanks everyone for all the great info, really helpful, I'll check out the info and see how it goes.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:59 PM   #9

I went with Raptor because it's a great diy product. The materials to do your entire van with a pop top is about $500. The most important part is, as always the prep and having a good compressor.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I went with Raptor because it's a great diy product. The materials to do your entire van with a pop top is about $500. The most important part is, as always the prep and having a good compressor.
Great info. This is the route I’m gonna take.
Mind if I reach out on PM with some questions?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote