Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #31

To me, the clincher is E van servicability, whether talking about the VW, Sprinter, or ProMaster (Fiat based) vans.

Every Billy Bob mechanic in the middle of nowhere can service an E-van and find parts in stock. Ford E-van frames/suspension/axles are designed to go 500,000 miles or more with lots of weight...can the same be said for the others with their minivan-duty axles and components? Look under an E-van sometime and compare the axles and frames.

BeastGTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #32

Frames? The newer vans don't even have them!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGTRV View Post
To me, the clincher is E van servicability, whether talking about the VW, Sprinter, or ProMaster (Fiat based) vans.

Every Billy Bob mechanic in the middle of nowhere can service an E-van and find parts in stock. Ford E-van frames/suspension/axles are designed to go 500,000 miles or more with lots of weight...can the same be said for the others with their minivan-duty axles and components? Look under an E-van sometime and compare the axles and frames.
This is a great point...

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I meant to put "frames" in quotes. I love the extra space in the Transit, Sprinter, etc., and I see how they would be great trades and delivery vans. But I don't think they were built for half million mile duty, especially loaded down with camper equipment.

I once rode in a SuperShuttle E350 van with an honest 700,000+ miles, and the driver said they usually retire them around 800k. His was on its second engine and third transmission.
BeastGTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 AM   #35
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGTRV View Post

I once rode in a SuperShuttle E350 van with an honest 700,000+ miles, and the driver said they usually retire them around 800k. His was on its second engine and third transmission.
Any part that's bolted on or "easily replaced" is a huge decision point for me---unit body or general body issues are deal breakers for me. In fact I just replaced an engine and transmission in a new-to-me 2005 E350 with raised roof and extended height rear doors. That was far, far easier than trying to repair my very rusty 2003 E250 that's still dependable mechanically.

And I do agree the E-Series seem better suited to heavier loading. I can't help feeling weight hauling capacity is reduced for the long term with the unit bodied vans we see these days.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Any part that's bolted on or "easily replaced" is a huge decision point for me---unit body or general body issues are deal breakers for me. In fact I just replaced an engine and transmission in a new-to-me 2005 E350 with raised roof and extended height rear doors. That was far, far easier than trying to repair my very rusty 2003 E250 that's still dependable mechanically.
That's what we thought in picking our '94 B350 Dodge. We purchased the van with a blown head gasket but figure that even if it needs more work than that getting an EB window van with highroof, tall rear doors and no rust made the mechanical challenges reasonable and doable.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dodges didn't have them after 1971.

Seemed to do okay for 3 million or so of them.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #38
Orv

Garage
Oddly enough the Econolines went the other direction -- unibody up through 1974, then body-on-frame from 1975 forward. The first-gen ones had more in common with the Falcon sedan than with the F-series.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a unibody. Done right they can be stiffer than a ladder frame, while also being lighter.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Oddly enough the Econolines went the other direction -- unibody up through 1974, then body-on-frame from 1975 forward. The first-gen ones had more in common with the Falcon sedan than with the F-series.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a unibody. Done right they can be stiffer than a ladder frame, while also being lighter.
^This.
I bought a 1976 GMC Terravan 4x4 conversion new and drove it for 32+ years. Unibody but VERY rigid construction. Rust was my biggest problem after that many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Terravan Indian Valley Jan 1982r.jpg  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #40

I was seriously looking at Eurovan Campers for traveling to various lower 48 National Parks and Alaska. But, I cringed when I thought about the $35k+ price tag for a decent one and the lack of part availability - the forums had many threads about how to find some of the most basic parts. Then I came across the Sportsmobile with the RB50 floor plan on a Ford van chassis you can get parts for at any NAPA, O'Reilly, Auto Zone, etc.

I bought a 1998 Ford E250 Super Duty with the EB50 floor plan and the rest, as they say, is history.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote