Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #101

Hey All,

Thanks to this thread I have my Starcool system working pretty good. As mentioned here, it works great in "Driving" mode, and pretty good on shore power.

Now, I need information on the location of the condensation drain. Last week, on a trip to the Everglades/FL Keys, I had water on the floor coming from under the Starcool "cabinet" (where the A/C return is located). The Norcold refrigerator is also housed in this cabinet, but I'm not sure if it (the Norcold) has a drain. I've read conflicting reports.

Does anyone have any tips on locating and clearing the Starcool condensation drain? Thanks for your help.

tbrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #102
Site Team

Garage
Yes the Norcold has a drain. I've had water from my fridge drain & show up under the van. But I've never really used the Starcool on shore power except at home and I've never checked or have noticed water coming from it. I'd check the fridge drain but my guess is the Starcool could do the same in a humid environment. If water is coming from the Starcool, I'd think it would drip the same whether on shore power or using the 12v setting. Maybe try turning off the fridge, let it sit for a day then fire up the Starcool and see if the water returns.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #103

I don't ever remember seeing a drain hose for the Norcold, but there is a drain hose for the evaporator/blower that goes through the floor. I would make sure it didn't get knocked off or plugged. You most likely need to pull the front panel off for full access.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #104

Thanks Dave and Greg. So, Greg, by front panel, do you mean the vent at the bottom of the AC "cabinet", or is there another panel behind that to pull off? At the beginning of the trip, I was getting some water under the van in "drive" mode for sure. However, water started showing up on the van floor mid trip, and I don't believe there was water on the ground any more. Hopefully I can find that drain.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #105

You may see if just removing the vent would give you enough access, but you might have to take off the whole cabinet panel.

-greg
Old 10-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #106

Thanks, again.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #107

You could also look underneath the van for the drain hose and try clearing it with a coat hanger or a gentile blast of compressed air
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
You could also look underneath the van for the drain hose and try clearing it with a coat hanger or a gentile blast of compressed air

I will probably try this first. Should it be fairly visible, near the compressor?
Old 10-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #109

The pass thru was at the front of the cabinet in my rig, not back by the compressor.

-greg
Old 10-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #110

The drain on my 98 was directly under the evap/blower unit in the cabinet, passing vertically through the floor. Yes you have to pull the vent grille off to access the unit, and I seem to recall having to undo some screws to lift the unit up a bit and access the drain hose. They seemed to have built the cabinet around it and the unit is not to easy to access/move. My guess is the line is plugged or knocked off.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote