Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #11

Garage
^^^ I remember seeing a quick release system that used similar flanges to vband’s. So there could be a way to pull it off.

Stereo comment is perfect though. Kinda like steering wheels now. Be rough to handle a recently used converter though. Not like you can just chuck it in a backpack and roll. Ya know it just sucks people gotta be having this conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Are you trying to make it easier to steal?

Herb
If he forgot to take it off, ya. I’d bet that even if it was easier to remove they would still use the sawzall. Hard to beat a one size fits all tool.

Just thinking... iirc, it’s harder to cut through stainless. Think maybe taking longer to cut through would slow them down?

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I vote to design a tool-less system for ultra fast removal/reinstall that would enable folks to walk around with their cat like we did with our stereo face plates in the 90's.

Humor aside I'm sorry this is happening to you olivelawn.

- Eric
Ha! Those were the days. I still come across one of the cases for those faceplates in my shop now and then.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #13

Faceplates? Y'all fancy! I used to have to carry around the whole stereo.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #14

I haven't thought about stereo theft in a long time. In the past I had both the removable face plate and the entire slide out unit. When did stereo theft quit becoming a thing? I wonder what stopped it? I know that my BMW stereo needs a security code input if it's removed or it won't ever work again...................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
...If he forgot to take it off, ya. I’d bet that even if it was easier to remove they would still use the sawzall. Hard to beat a one size fits all tool.
Yeah, I'm guessing the frontal lobe capacity of the people stealing cats wouldn't allow them to take the fast and simple approach, just the approach they have always used.

Herb
Old 03-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #16

I have done exactly that regarding the removable cat. Mine is on a Class C 2001 E450 so it may not be the same as yours. I have a single cat and no after the cat O2 sensors, so mine works fine. I swap it when I drive it and leave a straight pipe when it is sitting. If you have an after the cat O2 sensor you probably can't do it without throwing an error code.
Mikemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I haven't thought about stereo theft in a long time. In the past I had both the removable face plate and the entire slide out unit. When did stereo theft quit becoming a thing? I wonder what stopped it? I know that my BMW stereo needs a security code input if it's removed or it won't ever work again...................
1. Auto industry changed designs to became integrated with the dashboard and heat/air systems. Plus integrated navigation became a big thing for a while. That ended already.

2. Pawn shops stopped buying them. Their value dropped to be worth about nothing

3. People stopped using tapes/CD and went to MP3 and then steaming services

There is your reasons of what happened over the past 20 years while we were driving Econolines
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #18

Garage
Well OliveLawn, the answer to your question is yes. Have your local muffler shop make a "test pipe" for you, a straight pipe to install where the cat normally goes. It's for testing purposes only of course, right? ;-)

I wound up having to get my muffler shop the flange to mate to the standard exhaust forward of the cat, your model year may be different but I was able to order a cat test pipe for a same year Ford diesel pickup and have them modify that to work on my van.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:26 PM   #19

As long as it‘s just standing around: why even bother with a replacement…?!
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
1. Auto industry changed designs to became integrated with the dashboard and heat/air systems. Plus integrated navigation became a big thing for a while. That ended already.

2. Pawn shops stopped buying them. Their value dropped to be worth about nothing

3. People stopped using tapes/CD and went to MP3 and then steaming services

There is your reasons of what happened over the past 20 years while we were driving Econolines
4. OEM stereos used to really suck, but most vehicles offer nicer (integrated) options these days.