Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #1

Tilt-Out Side Window Adhesion Failure

Several months ago I walked out to the van to see the tilt-out glass, intact, but on the ground. I leave the two tilt-out windows open year-round to make sure I get airflow through the van so when the adhesion on the passenger tilt-out glass finally gave out, the glass slid off its track and fell to the ground.

I've tried three times to rebond the glass to its seat on the window assembly but nothing has worked. I've used two different types of black silicone and one gasket maker - none of which have held. The shape of the glass does not exactly match the seat that it sits in so it wants to pull away - this of course is not helping during the curing process. I've had to come up with some creative ways to keep the pressure on the glass and even after letting it cure for weeks, it still won't hold.

For now, Gorilla tape is doing the job but want to get this resolved correctly.

Does anyone know what the correct adhesive is for this application?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20230531_111732.jpg   IMG_20230531_121426.jpg   IMG_20230601_174336.jpg  

Old 10-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #2

Contact CR Laurence - Automotive Glass Dept.
Your window is a model FW904RS

Ask for the Epoxy / Adhesive for that model window. I believe they can spec what to use.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:26 AM   #3

Go by the local glass shop and buy a tube of the black goop they use for modern window installations. Warning- you'll need a strong caulking gun as the stuff is thick.

I call the guy ahead of time and he leaves the day's leftover tube, meant for the trash, out back and I swing by and grab it. It's great for rear view mirror installation.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:05 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Go by the local glass shop and buy a tube of the black goop they use for modern window installations. Warning- you'll need a strong caulking gun as the stuff is thick.

I call the guy ahead of time and he leaves the day's leftover tube, meant for the trash, out back and I swing by and grab it. It's great for rear view mirror installation.
Being in the auto/truck glass biz this ^^ is a great idea; nothing ventured, nothing gained. I can't think of a time I've not a used tube with enough left to do this sort of job. Speak kindly and for little to nothing they might do it for you---I would!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:23 AM   #5

I have 3 of these windows in my 2004, they have all failed. I did a full replacement on one since the glass shattered. It is not a hard job to DIY. I now have them all glued shut around the full perimeter and have sacrificed the nice ventilation they provide. I probably should replace all of them ($1900?) but there are always other more pressing van problems to deal with. I never got in the habit but I often thought if you rubber lubed the gasket to prevent sticking it might last longer since the glass tended to stick. Good Luck with repair.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:35 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
I have 3 of these windows in my 2004, they have all failed. I did a full replacement on one since the glass shattered. It is not a hard job to DIY. I now have them all glued shut around the full perimeter and have sacrificed the nice ventilation they provide. I probably should replace all of them ($1900?) but there are always other more pressing van problems to deal with. I never got in the habit but I often thought if you rubber lubed the gasket to prevent sticking it might last longer since the glass tended to stick. Good Luck with repair.
Naturally where the adhesive is muy importante if an operating lower element is important.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #7

I had a Pleasure-Way Traverse van with those types of windows. I was selling it and a prospective buyer came to look at it. She started opening the window and the glass fell off. She didn’t buy the van [emoji23] Thankfully the glass didn’t break and I was able to reattach it and sell the van.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote