Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #11

Good stuff. Most of these members have extensive build threads. You can click on their galleries and go way back (many years sometimes) and see interior and build shots.

Ridintall has a very nice van too, here's the album:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...albums921.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Here's another. I've never heard of this member in my years upon years of spending too much time on this site. A really cool high top with really nice cabinetry in the upper part.

Sportsmobile Forum - winvest's Album: Winvest

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #13

Garage
Fred the Van

There's a whole series of videos and commentary over on Expo Portal about Fred the Van. They recently decided to change to a fixed top. Here's the video tour after the install:

https://youtu.be/YcAznO9rwUs

And the Expo build thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...highlight=Fred
Old 01-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #14

Interesting that he said, "expect to pay pop top prices". I got a quote for a 20" with wood reinforcements, windows and install for just under $5k. That's a lot less than a pop top. $10k for SMB or $8k for CCV. Granted, both of the latter options are finished instead of raw fiberglass.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
Great idea! Thanks for starting this thread!
Wish I knew how much interior clearance there is with that 20" fixed top (Blue Steel)

My guess on steel blue interior clearance is 70" with out any insulation, deduct an inch for roof insulation & your at 69" max clearance if you add a fan it will be less. I did two installs this week with my 24" high tops one came in at 74" the other was 74 1/2 without insulation both of these rigs had reflective, sound barrier, rigid foam & then plywood before the flooring. Sorta gives you an idea of interior height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #16

Thanks MSD!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

Garage
Here is my van after Raptor lining the top fiberglass and bottom rockers, wheel wells etc. Love the extra storage space the high top provides, my interior pictures are horrible and from the original owner I got it from, need to take some better ones now that's its cleaned up a bit but you get the idea. Great floor plan with 2 beds

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #18

Looks great! And the mug looks happy, too...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post

I would really love to have a couple of measurements from this type of top with a bed. From an outside view it looks impractical for a top bed, but inside it looks so much better. This thread is definitely making me think more about fixed tops.

Does anyone have measurement for the top of bed cushion to the middle of the roof for this type of top? Or from the "ledge" that the bed sits on to the top of the top?

I don't mind being stuffed in a smaller space, and although I'm 6' tall I'd be content with an interior slightly shorter. But I am trying to imagine my wife climbing up and trying to turn around up there.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
I would really love to have a couple of measurements from this type of top with a bed. From an outside view it looks impractical for a top bed, but inside it looks so much better. This thread is definitely making me think more about fixed tops.

Does anyone have measurement for the top of bed cushion to the middle of the roof for this type of top? Or from the "ledge" that the bed sits on to the top of the top?

I don't mind being stuffed in a smaller space, and although I'm 6' tall I'd be content with an interior slightly shorter. But I am trying to imagine my wife climbing up and trying to turn around up there.
This is the first time I have seen this layout/van, what a beauty!
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote