Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #21

Re: CR Laurence window parts (AKA: repairing failed glue)

One thing I've learned the hard way about those windows: Keep 'em closed all the way when moving. We used to keep one cracked open for the dog to get some fresh air. The vibration rips up the crank mechanism and loosens the glass bond. We dropped a pane on the highway last spring.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
One thing I've learned the hard way about those windows: Keep 'em closed all the way when moving. We used to keep one cracked open for the dog to get some fresh air. The vibration rips up the crank mechanism and loosens the glass bond. We dropped a pain on the highway last spring.
I've never had them open while moving.. but maybe the PO did?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #23

I had problems with my cr Lawrence window as we'll. My brand new window was leaking immediately. At first I assumed my installation was faulty, but upon further review it was a faulty seal on the lower right corner of the window. Rather than water bleeding out the lower holes it was bleeding into the van. I plugged it with silicone from the inside and haven't had trouble since. I was pissed but what was I to do, pull it out and send it back? Without a garage it wasn't going to happen.
Diamond Eye Exhuast
Dp Tuner
calebmogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #24

My replacement window is holding up fine but my other window was showing signs of glue failure but this one had stripped gears and I can't open it. I ran a bead of clear silicone all the way around to hold in the frame. Both of these windows are on the sunny side of the van so maybe a factor in the failures. It's not worth $500 to me to replace. So the remaining window (I have 3) is 10.5 years old now. I keep the gaskets clean & lubed so it doesn't stick and stress the glue on initial opening and I'm careful about over tightening. Just limping along here!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
One thing I've learned the hard way about those windows: Keep 'em closed all the way when moving. We used to keep one cracked open for the dog to get some fresh air. The vibration rips up the crank mechanism and loosens the glass bond. We dropped a pane on the highway last spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
I keep the gaskets clean & lubed so it doesn't stick and stress the glue on initial opening and I'm careful about over tightening. Just limping along here!
Both good tips guys... thanks. I usually keep them closed on long trips or off road but I'll have to start closing them up on the road all the time. I've also had them stick and I'll start keeping them lubed up. Damn expensive windows.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Damn expensive windows.
I'm happy to pay for the window (well, not happy, but ok).. It's the labor to put them in!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #27

Garage
Have there been any new developments with these?
It is hot in LA today and I was inside doing some organizational work in the van. I opened the windows to get some air and the passenger side one made a funny noise. The glued hinge failed and the glass was just hanging by the rollers.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #28

No, I gave up and glued them shut.. Spent a bunch of money on glue and cleaner and primer from CRLaurence and it didn't do very well.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #29

Garage
Did the glue at the hinge fail when you did the repair or was it something in the mechanism? Did you take the paint or anodizing off the hinge or just prep all of that? Another member, I think arctictraveler, recommended 3M 5200 or Sikaflex. What do you think?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #30

The mechanism glue failed, which led to some of the hinge glue failing before I glued them shut permanently.

I did not remove the anodizing.

Jeff's Sikaflex suggestion might work, I have no experience with it. I went with all CR Laurence stuff as they directed me to. I may have more if you are interested in buying it off me for cheap.