Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #2491
Site Team

Garage
I did have a issue with the deflate cap not sealing on my test run so when you get it fill it with air and hold a cup with water to check both plugs are sealing. I just reset the cap and all was good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #2492

Today I took my scrap in and they had a pair of wheels off an f-250. One even had a good tire on it so I replaced my very rusted spare. Between the spare and the shackles I think I should start looking for more rusted out parts to replace before they fail. My factory installed tow plug is toast too from corrosion.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
. Between the spare and the shackles I think I should start looking for more rusted out parts to replace before they fail. My factory installed tow plug is toast too from corrosion.

Was your shackel failure due to corrosion?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 AM   #2494

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Was your shackel failure due to corrosion?
Yes it was. the lucky part is that I had very little in the back of my van. If you start with an empty service van, just add 3 seats on a rack, a standard carry tool box with some winch stuff, and like a couple milk crates with oil/roadside stuff. It could have been much worse if I had my scrap in there like I was planning. I was on a pretty flat road only doing 30. I am sure it would have punched through the floor if I had hit a bump when it broke. It just tore right in two. Luckily I was close to home as well.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #2495

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
...had Klymit gear...
https://www.klymit.com/double-v.html...
As a heads up to any Costco Members out there Klymit has been part of the road-show circuit. They were at my local Costco a couple weeks ago. The prices were a tad lower than their website prices. Looks like nice gear. I may pick up their insulated hammock pad for next season (they only had the non insulated one at the roadshow).

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Awesome idea, thanks! I have a 2" memory foam pad I fold up under the middle (hanging) section of the penthouse bed, but even that isn't enough extra padding for me. And there's no room up there to store more padding up there if the roof is going to close properly.

That inflatable sounds like a great idea. I might use it in addition to my memory foam.

-- Geoff
I ordered one of those Klymit inflatable pads, and it arrived today. The inflate-it-with-the-storage-bag process is a joke, though. Might as well blow it up directly with my mouth. Instead I'll order a $10 batter pump like this one to inflate/deflate: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Quick-F.../dp/B004HC5Y4Y
Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #2497

Garage
Quote:
I ordered one of those Klymit inflatable pads, and it arrived today. The inflate-it-with-the-storage-bag process is a joke, though. Might as well blow it up directly with my mouth. Instead I'll order a $10 batter pump like this one to inflate/deflate: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Quick-F.../dp/B004HC5Y4Y
Agree completely the Storage Bag inflation process isn't effective.

Received my Klymit inflatable 2 days ago and had to try it out so I gave it the ultimate test last night - blew it up and slept on one of our wood floors. Slept through the night with no issue. Really are very comfortable. Convinced it will only enhance my comfort atop the mattress in the Van. Just as pleased with how small they are when deflated & rolled up.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #2498

Try the Nemo brand inflatable ones. The pump is built into the mattress, inflates in 30 seconds using your foot to pump it up. Deflates in seconds when you open the big valve.

Have had mine about a year for motorcycling, it's awesome.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #2499
Site Team

Garage
What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:

Ok wait I can have my klymit inflated in a couple minutes with the bag? Are you doing what I did and used the deflate plug to fill it?

Not saying it’s perfect but just have the bag flat with the bed and role up the opening. I do pull the bag open before I role it.

Hmm I do have a co2 tank within easy reach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #2500

I got my floor in, and a bit more.

Finally got to spend some time getting the floor down so I can install the vinyl and start building. It was more work than I thought getting all that old flooring out and cleaning the thing up.
I guess almost 20 years of dust will do that. I made a video that has a lot of it.

I got the flooring all pulled out, used the old mat as a template to cut the 1/2 OSB for the floor sheeting. I put 1/2 in OSB strips in the low points of the floor and then reflectix in the high spots. I glued the strips down to the body and put a few screws in them, and then taped all the joints with foil tape and installed the sheeting with screws about every 6 inches into the strips.
I also got the FatMat installed on the roof panels to keep the noise and vibrations down after I pulled the headliner out.

I also have it all listed in my build thread, here in the forum.

Here is a list of all the parts I have used so far:

Reflectix BP24050 24-Inch-by-50-Foot
(This is probably enough for my whole van due to the windows on the sides. If you have a full size cargo van and want to do all the walls as a vapor barrier and insulation you will probably need 2 of them)
3M Foil Tape 3381 Silver, 1.88 in x 50 yd 2.7 mil http://amzn.to/2yAADLb
This works good to seal the edges of the Reflectix
Loctite Power Grab All Purpose Adhesive 9 Fluid Ounce Cartridge
I prefer this unless it is below 50 degrees or the surfaces are possibly damp if so I use:
Loctite Power Grab Ultimate Adhesive 9 Fluid Ounce Cartridge
Very similar to the one above but works well in colder conditions.
Loctite Polyseal 10 Oz White 2 In 1 Seal & Bond All Purpose Caulk
This is another great thing to have I use it for sealing gaps it skins over rather quickly
DAP 59184 QT Ready to Use Flexible Floor Leveler
Fills small gaps or inconsistencies in your subfloor, flexible so it won't crack with movement
3/4-Inch Modified Truss Lath Self Piercing Screw, 100-Pack
I used 2 packs between the strips and the sheeting on top of the slats.
FatMat Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener Bulk Pack w/ Install Kit
If you have a cargo van this is probably the amount you need I will have some left over
Attached Thumbnails
20171109_153026.jpg   20171111_165239.jpg   20171111_173354.jpg   20171112_160833.jpg   20171112_165418.jpg  

20171113_171716.jpg  
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote