Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #31

Re: Which saw?

I am just happy that someone like 86Scotty will spend the money to do the experiment to report back his objective experience to us. GoodOnYaM8! Looking forward to reading the report.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I forgot to mention that the Kobalt has a 5 year 'no hassle' return policy on the battery, saw, or charger. That basically means a return since when you have trouble and go back they probably won't stock the damn thing any more. The fact that the policy is printed all over the box I hope means that they are marketing it specifically keeping in mind that rechargeable batteries generally suck and die sooner than they should. We'll see. The receipt will be kept with the saw, that's for sure.

I haven't had trouble with the lithium batteries like the older type made batteries.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #33

As promised, here's a quick demo of this saw with some added info in the description. It works great. Nothing like a gas saw of course but I think it will be awesome for the van and uses like this around the yard. Sorry for the lousy audio and video, but I don't get paid for this so hopefully it will do the job.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #34

As a contractor that uses cordless tools every day, and a part time logger who has multiple chainsaws from a 72 cc bad ass saw, to a 39cc arborist saw that has a 16" bar on it I use for min bike trails, and ski glades, I have a little insight.
Batteries always die at the worst possible time. Murphy has been engineered into the run time of batteries!
As much as I love the smell of 2-stroke cold smoke it will stink up your rig, I was carrying my arborist saw in the eurovan this fall, and it smelled up the rig. Not unbearable, but you knew it was in there every time you got in. That being said, if it was put in there only when I needed it, it wouldn't have been so bad. I probably have 100k in tools, so it is no surprise that my mantra is the right tool for the job.
Is a battery operated chainsaw right for you, maybe. I know battery technology will have to come a long way before I ever consider one! My needs may be different from yours, I heat with wood, and saw the logs I cut.
Never think a saws all will get you anywhere close to a chainsaw. Apples to bowling balls.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #35

Thanks MacDad, just last week I went ahead and bought the saw I really wanted, a Stihl MS192T (arborist saw, 14"). I'm keeping the battery saw for the van and my son to use, but I'm like you, I kind of like tools and have always wanted a little in-tree saw.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #36

FYI, Lowes has a sale now on the Kobalt 40v. FREE second battery with the purchase of a saw (or weedtrimmer, blower, etc).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #37

That's a pretty sweet deal Rally! I would recommend anyone halfway interested jump on that and just return it if you don't like it. I took mine camping last weekend, stored it upright in the Trasharoo and used it to cut firewood and to cut down a limb too low for the roof box to clear. It's already serving it's purpose well.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #38

Garage

Maybe someone should test saws like this.
Cheers
Darryl

[youtube:261hobyd]
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #39
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Maybe someone should test saws like this.
Cheers
Darryl

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #40
Site Team

On a marginally related topic, does anyone have experience with generic replacement batteries? I have a pair of DeWalt 18V batteries that seem took have suddenly lost their uuuumph. A brand new pair of DeWalt batteries off Amazon are $90, while the generics are less than half the price.

Herb