Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #61

The toilet is included in factory builds when they want to get certified as a "Class B". A woman traveling solo might want a toilet but if you are traveling with someone, that someone has to leave if you want to use the toilet. Take pics with it in place for your insurance and then leave it somewhere. You'll need the space more than the pot.

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 11:21 PM   #62

@SierraHawk Yeah I would love to have the extra space but its for the GF to use at night so she doesn't have to leave the van. We also have a 6x12 cargo trailer that carries two dual sports and a has a toilet/shower.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:03 AM   #63

A few more updates. The plumbing is almost done except for the gray tank. Everything else has no leaks and is holding water. Pump works and water heater fires up. I will run the full system test once I get the BSP to NPT adapters for the final install.

The garage panels are cut and laminated but I keep breaking drill bits in the 80/20. Plus I laminated the wrong side of one of them and now have to secure some aluminum trim to fix the damage I did

On to the final, final, final stuff!

Garage Panels x LED lighting

Ruvati Bar Sink x Plumbing

RGB LED accent lights

Old 09-15-2023, 08:09 AM   #64

Nice work! Your Electrical layout looks very clean and easy to access. What are the two big red battery disconnects for? ...assuming the one under the beach seat is to combine battery banks...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #65

Thanks boywonder! I split the DC distribution into each side of the van because I have so little space on each side of the bed. Cost a little more but made the wiring way easier.

I am using the second blue sea switch as a solar disconnect because my DC-DC charger will only push 25A if its has both solar and alternator voltage coming in. While driving I can just switch off solar and get the full 50A charge. Not ideal but I learned this after buying it : /
Old 09-16-2023, 10:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post

I am using the second blue sea switch as a solar disconnect because my DC-DC charger will only push 25A if its has both solar and alternator voltage coming in. While driving I can just switch off solar and get the full 50A charge. Not ideal but I learned this after buying it : /

Do you have the solar on the starting battery side of the DC-DC converter?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
Thanks boywonder! I split the DC distribution into each side of the van because I have so little space on each side of the bed. Cost a little more but made the wiring way easier.

I believe if you can go into the app for that renogy unit you can program it to use the full 50 amps from DC to DC, no need to disconnect.

Also, Not sure what your total solar panel voltage and current is. The newest NEC standard is to have a dual pole disconnect switch for both ground and positive on solar.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #68

Dang my jaw dropped. Randomly this is where im at in life. Aluminum cargo trailer build and just got a 2013 E350 with the same roof. I was looking for inspiration on this forum and I just got overloaded bahaha!!!
OregonE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:53 PM   #69

@boywonder - The Renogy has separate inputs for alternator and solar positive but shared negative. Not sure if that really answers your question or not tho : )

@Scalf77 - I will look into that. I have just been using the main Renogy App and have not seen any settings like that. I only have 150 watts so Im not worried about it. Plus when both switches are off I have no voltage going through the system according to my multimeter. Seems safe enough to me (famous last words!) haha

@Oregon E350 - Thanks, glad I could help! There aren't a ton of examples online of really nice interior builds these days. Everyone has moved to sprinter, transit and promaster. I looked at all styles and ended up somewhere between an adventure van, class B camper and an old school conversion van. We can seat 5 if we want and its still very usable as a daily driver.

I can't wait to see your thread and the cargo trailer!
Old 10-31-2023, 10:54 PM   #70

Build Update x Shakedown Trip

Finally got the build complete enough to test it out! Finished the garage area lighting and finish panels, L track on the floor, etc. Hung some art on the walls and loaded up to hit the road.

These automotive high density cushions are miserable to sleep on, so we kept adding pillow tops and foam until we could sleep through the night

We did 1800 miles in 13 days all over nor cal from Tahoe to Yosemite to Petaluma and Bodega Bay. Everything worked the whole time except the gray tank so we couldn't use the sink. Propex heater is absolutely amazing in comparison to an RV heater. No noise, no moisture, just comes on when it needs to and doesn't bother anyone like a heater should!

The one real failure was the cargo trailer. Its a 6x12 that weighs less than 2000lbs loaded up but we only got about 10mpg the whole trip. Granted it was all through the Sierra Nevadas and a ton of hills. I basically got 9mpg towing our 4500lb 23ft travel trailer. I will look for a small flatbed moto trailer. The reduced weight and drag should get us closer to the 15/16mpg highway.

Just a few small projects to finish up, some minor changes to make based on our test run and really just minor stuff. stoked.