Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #121

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
We just rebuilt a NP205 Transfer Case and supplied an axle from a 08 Ford F350 for a 1957? Dodge M37 project. It is going to maintain the stock radius arms with coilover shocks.

With all the availability of these axles and their great strength and reliability, they are the perfect option for many heavy duty applications, including vans.

Keep us posted on that project - we are all interested in the cool stuff that comes out of your shop.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
- we are all interested in the cool stuff that comes out of your shop.
....like a finished picture of that wicked ARB bumper you're modifying.

Can't wait to see it finished!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #123

I'm waiting on parts to show up so I can finish my fabrication and then send off to the powder coater. Not much left to do. The bumper fits great and everything I had planned will work out better than expected.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #124
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Megametal-awesome!!! The talent some of our SMB members (like yourself) have is truly amazing! That bumper is so stealthy looking! And having to re-weld and trim etc...makes me feel inept, but impressed at the talent! As somebody else said, "should take care of that unemployment thing." Or even start booking some SMB member re-do's, upgrades, and the like...can't wait to see whats next and the finished product! Ps. sent you a message of thx for a message grin you I JUST discovered a few years later...oh technology and me...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #125

Do I see shiny new brake parts on that axle in the background?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve View Post
Do I see shiny new brake parts on that axle in the background?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually, the only thing shiny and new on that axle is the trac-bar I have attached to it. I don't need any brakes on it yet... right now I'm just using it to test the fit of the radius arm mounts and trac-bar mount I've designed.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:19 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Because they are designed for vehicles with GCWR of 30,000 lbs... 90's F-series trucks with TTBs were what... a third of that capability. Newer axles are heavier because of their design intent. I don't see it as a disadvantage. I'll build my interior to a fraction of the weight of a SMB for real weight savings.
What kind of weight saving tips do you have for us on the interior? I'm about to do mine and want to keep it light. Are you planning on using lighter materials or different construction techniques? or just build it more sparsely?
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog View Post
What kind of weight saving tips do you have for us on the interior? I'm about to do mine and want to keep it light. Are you planning on using lighter materials or different construction techniques? or just build it more sparsely?
I plan to use aluminum and composite materials in my build. I also envision using various lightweight fabrics within my design and I will try to work in some formed features into the aluminum panels for added strength (various shapes of dimple dies, bead rolled features, formed sheetmetal, etc...). I may use aluminum extrusions again if the design calls for it. I haven't decided on the layout and features yet. I have my eye on some surplus aluminum honeycomb panels too. That stuff is the bomb!

I really like the Dibond material that I used in the SEMA build. Very rigid, easy to work with and super light. If I were to do it again, I'd use 80/20 over the Bosch extrusions.

Lots of ways to avoid wood in the build.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #129

I like the weight savings of an aluminum build, but have concerns about the harmonics that such a design might create. Any thoughts? Sound deadener on the inside of larger panels?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
I like the weight savings of an aluminum build, but have concerns about the harmonics that such a design might create. Any thoughts? Sound deadener on the inside of larger panels?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
The composite panels don't have the 'tin can' sound of a piece of sheetmetal. If I were doing large-ish spans of aluminum though, I wouldn't hesitate to put some dynamat or something on the back side.