Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

Re: Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

sledmods, I get 10-12 mixed driving, mostly around town, but I haven't kept good track. It's not really the lift, it's the 35's. But I'm with BW, the v-10 is a great motor, if I had to do over I would still go with the v-10. And I've had a diesel in the past, it was an awesome motor but it was an 06 Duramax in a dually for my previous Lance camper.

In the near future I plan on re-gearing also, I have 3.73's and plan to go with 4.30 gears. So my mileage may get worse.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smugdoug
In the near future I plan on re-gearing also, I have 3.73's and plan to go with 4.30 gears. So my mileage may get worse.
Probably better, if the engine is working hard to push with the 3.73s I think you can hurt your gas mileage. I found putting premium in my Jeep to get a few extra HP really helped with the overall gas mileage.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #13

Good point Jage, the lower gears do act a little like extra horse power..... kinda. The point of the gears anyway is so I can tow, but I wouldn't mind a few more mpg's.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #14

Just talked to Fiberine. The Top is a reverse flange, and that gives me a little more confidence in doing the install myself. Also talked to Jeff at RV Interiors and he has given me a few pointers on how to get this top installed properly. The primary sealant will be Butyl tape and then may finish off the exterior seam with a little Silicone sealant. For fasteners, I plan on using four 3/8" carriage bolts per side.

I could use some feedback on how to sandwich the fiberglass - Butyl - metal with the plywood that I plan on installing on top of the fiberglass. Like I said I'll be using carriage bolts but I'm trying think ahead for my bed platform that will be resting on top of the ply.

Here is the layout that I'm thinking of going with for now tell me what you think. Two additional captains chairs for my son and daughter.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Van 18.JPG  

Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #15

Looks good! I also have a walkthrough design, and love it - I can still load full sheets of plywood, 12 foot baseboard, siding, etc into the van without having to rearrange anything.

I ended up doing much the same as yours but put the dinette at the very back. My reasoning was that I wanted to be able to reach my beer in the fridge without climbing over the bed when the kids were asleep But also nice to be able to get to clothes, pajamas, sweaters, etc from the front when the bed is out.

Of course, everyone's needs are different, so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it

Good luck! Have fun,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #16

Darn I didn't think about the beer mjeffrey. I'll have to give that some more thought.

Oh, one more thing about Fiberine, Anabel is trying to talk me into glassing a sheet of plywood in the roof in case I add a rack??? I was just thinking of a few pine strips would do just fine. Any thoughts from anyone about reinforcing the fiberglass?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #17

Alright, finally made my visit to Fiberine and put my deposit down on the Super Camper Top

When I was there they had just, in the last day or two, finished a Super Camper top and here are my spy photos of the inside, you'll notice the strips of wood through out the fiberglass. I call it waffle board, but I can't remember the actual term for this board.

I told Annabel to replicate this configuration of wood for mine minus some of the wood toward the front, on the sides, Because I'm not sure about exact placement of my windows at this point. There is a lot of wood around the rear, where the A/C unit platform is. What are the opinions out there? I still feel like it is too much wood now that I'm home. I will be calling Fiberine tomorrow and let her know if there will be any modifications to the amount of wood used. Estimated time of completions is two weeks from today!
Attached Thumbnails
Super Camper1 towards front mod2.JPG   Super Camper2 towards backmod2.JPG   Super Camper Close up Back mod2.JPG  

Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #18

Also while I was there I took some pics of a van they had just installed the bubble top on. You can see how the flange sits. This should give anyone who doesn't know what a reverse flange looks like a good idea of the benefits of this type of top.
Attached Thumbnails
Bubble Top Front part of Flange mod2.JPG   Bubble Top Rear part of Flange mod2.JPG   Close up of Screw thru mod2.JPG  

Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #19

Thanks for the pics!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #20

Cool! You must be stoked Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Re: the amount of wood, what's the downside to having more wood, rather than less? It looks to be strips of plywood, so total weight of the strips I can see in the photos can't be more than 10 pounds or so? And rigidity and strength seem to be desirable in a top, for attaching things to and just for general wear and tear.

What other considerations are there?

Cheers!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote