Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #71

Thanks Dave, you can feel free to remove my post as well if you want. It no longer makes as much sense. Or I could edit it.

Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #72
Site Team

Garage
Nah WhitH, your post is fine. Hopefully everyone understands that all members must stay within the boundary of the forum rules or suffer the hammer.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #73
Spr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Seems like there are some comments in the thread that indicate some think you have to have a concealed carry permit to own a hand gun. "concealed carry" are the key words. You don't need a concealed carry permit to legally own or carry a handgun in your van. Well, I guess I don't know that to be true for all 50 states, like most things you should check your states laws especially the more you go northeast and/or west.
To the best of my knowledge "in" your van is one thing and "at" your camp site is another. This also plays into affect after having a couple drinks. I know with any carry there is zero tolerance for alcohol, but if you are attacked in your home or in your van that is different. Obviously this differs state to state so as please read up or feel free to share if you have a better understanding of this

Bravo to this group for keeping this civil. Very touchy topic for some people on both sides of the belief system and I for one have been truly intrigued by this thread.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #74

What about water guns? Anyone in to those?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:39 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post
To the best of my knowledge "in" your van is one thing and "at" your camp site is another. This also plays into affect after having a couple drinks. I know with any carry there is zero tolerance for alcohol, but if you are attacked in your home or in your van that is different. Obviously this differs state to state so as please read up or feel free to share if you have a better understanding of this

Bravo to this group for keeping this civil. Very touchy topic for some people on both sides of the belief system and I for one have been truly intrigued by this thread.
I went through a weapons requalification with the SO not long ago. One of the items discussed was that we have two states - California and New Jersey - that have much stricter rules for firearms in vehicles than any other state. In both states the firearm must be unloaded - and the ammunition stored in an area completely separate from the firearm. If in a vehicle such as a car then the firearm must be locked in the trunk. In a vehicle such as a van the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container - and not in the glove compartment or console.

So yes, each state has its own laws regarding transport of firearms and it is up to you to make sure you are legal. During the course we were given the name of an app, available for both Android and Apple, that you can have on your phone which will give you up-to-date information on what the requirements are for any state. Unfortunately I didn't make note of the app so i can't pass it on; only time I pack is here in the outback of Nevada where I know I'm legal.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
What about water guns? Anyone in to those?

Super Soaker FTW! But I imagine high-volume water guns are banned in California so you folks there are out of luck [emoji23]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #77

Does vehicle registration as an RV make a difference ??

I have a vague recollection of being told that it does…. Excluding the drivers area - it’s considered a home/residence and different laws apply.

Excellent discussion - thank you all.

Steve W
Southern California
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post

I have a vague recollection of being told that it does…. Excluding the drivers area - it’s considered a home/residence and different laws apply.

Steve W
Southern California
Now that's an excellent question!

I'm sure the vehicle being registered as an RV makes no difference as far as transporting a firearm. But once you are camped? And whether you are camped in a designated campground, or out boondocking? That merits more research.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #79
Site Team

Garage
I would always suggest researching every possibility you plan to encounter because the laws change so much. While I can be and probably am wrong, a few of the laws I've discussed with the so called experts are vague.
In CA
A vehicle used as a residence is similar to your home. So you can have a handgun in the vehicle when parked (at camp) without being in a safe. Ca has Ca approved safes and you should have it locked up while driving if you don't have a weapon permit. The weapon must be out of reach and no ammo can be attached to the firearm. The ammo must be separated within a reasonable distance from the firearm and should be in a different locked container. Persons on a motorcycle can carry in their saddle bags or similar w/o a permit but the same applies, separated and not within easy reach. Just because the weapon is locked and ammo separated, it is IIRC not legal to just carry around a gun in a vehicle even in a safe. You must be going to or coming from a place legal to shoot. Using a RV as a way to carry when you're not living out of the RV might be illegal if they can prove you're just driving around for example. This applies to long guns as well. When you carry or transport any weapon you can't be within a specific distance of a school and this might apply to those with carry permits. It also applies to Ca banned assault weapons. However I know I can own and keep an assault weapon at home and live within the school safe zone. I live right next to a school and am registered with DOJ. I just have to lock it up when I hit the road. But I'm not sure how clear the law is if for instance if someone parks at my house in a RV within the school safe zone. My thought is you would be OK but the law is vague if the weapon is unlocked. Ca is a 10 round capacity state so just because you might have a permit from another state that allows large capacity mags, you can't have them in Ca. Like most Ca gun laws, there are some exemptions but most don't apply to the standard citizen. I can carry in a NP within Ca because I have a Ca CCW but can't visit other NP's out of state and conceal carry unless I have that state permit. Ca doesn't recognize other state permits IIRC.
Many places or jurisdictions may have specific rules about where you can carry with a permit. A post office is off limits but I can carry in a bank.

I think the main problem is there are so many laws that vary state to state along with specific laws for CCW holders. I always figure out of sight out of mind is suggested even if you follow the rules by the book. If I don't know the laws and I'm worried, I'll disassemble the weapon and lock it up until I need it. There are (were) safes that lock the gun in one half and lock the ammo on the other side of the safe. So the handgun is unloaded on one side but the magazine can be full and locked in the other side. These safes open both sides with one key/combo and are the best method to retrieve and ready the weapon for use. But as with all of my suggestions, I might be wrong and it's up to the owner to confirm what is legal and what isn't.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post

Steve W
Southern California
At least in Florida the principles of the Castle Doctrine are extended to your occupied vehicle doesn’t matter the registration classification. Essentially you are not required to retreat. Remember we are talking about being faced with eminent deadly force. Retreat may still be the best action , that’s for you to decide possibly in a millisecond or two.

“…If you are a victim of unlawful force or deadly force when you are in a dwelling, your residence, or an occupied vehicle, the law will provide you protection beyond the general rules of self-defense…”

I wouldn’t think castle doctrine applies to a campsite but general rules of self-defense would of course.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote