Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #151

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Just got my new to me EB50 insured by State Farm in CA for $500 a year. RV policy.

My agent had to spend a day or two digging in the bowels of State Farm, but found that they actually have a "book" on all SMBs including layout designations etc.
I lied, the agent forgot to include the safe driver discount.. Premium is now less than $450. Which is a little more than half what I'm paying for my non-SMB van. Sweet.
If you get totalled out how much does the book say you get? That would be my question.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo
Quote:
Quote:
Just got my new to me EB50 insured by State Farm in CA for $500 a year. RV policy.

My agent had to spend a day or two digging in the bowels of State Farm, but found that they actually have a "book" on all SMBs including layout designations etc.
I lied, the agent forgot to include the safe driver discount.. Premium is now less than $450. Which is a little more than half what I'm paying for my non-SMB van. Sweet.
I have SF and just got my statement today. I have a Quigley with a custom interior from Van Specialties. No plumbing, only electricity and insulation. I do have some cabinetry, couch/rollover, solar and a microwave. I'm a safe driver and have all my other insurances thru them. They were supposed to put me on an RV policy but don't see any reference to that. $941/6 mos.

I think that's a tad bit high.

What might be going on here? I've been with them for many years.
Doesn't sound like you're on a RV policy. There are certain things your van needs to have to be considered an RV. I don't remember what exactly they are but I think running water, propane, and toilet are on the list.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #153

Garage

looking into proper insurance for my van and received this info. will only pertain to idaho residents, but this was the best place i could think of to share the info.

in the state of idaho to be classified as an rv, you must have at least 4 of the following 7 requirements.

- cooking
- toilet
- refrigeration
- heating and/or cooling
- potable water including faucet/sink
- 110v power supply
- lp gas supply

at that point, a motor vehicle inspector would inspect & certify the vehicle and the vin would be changed.

local mvi contacts as of 12/5/14.
adran: 208-334-8750
terry: 208-334-8686
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #154

used to have progressive but found foremost. way cheaper and better coverage.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #155

Oh! Almost forgot to post here.

I had been with Allstate for 29 years. They would not insure my Sportsmobile since it didn't have a plumbed in toilet Rallypanam turned me on to his local State Farm guy that actually spent the time to look in to Sportsmobile, which apparently took a while.

I had to switch everything over to State Farm to get a good rate...multiple vehicle discount, renters policy, etc. I'm saving about $30 a month and they insured my SMB for $245 a year.

When I called Allstate to cancel, my agent's office was closed so I called the main 800-number. The woman I spoke with was somewhat dumbfounded about their own policy on RV's and toilets.

Just got a Christmas card from my former Allstate agent this morning LOL.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
used to have progressive but found foremost. way cheaper and better coverage.
I talked to my last Farmer's agent and he laughed at me instead of providing coverage. He retired last year and the new agent never even contacted us

I recently found a new agent- the polar opposite of an older gent sitting behind a metal government salvage desk- and we went over the SMB and I'm now covered with Farmers... well Foremost, but it's owned by Farmers. Stated value policy and it's only slightly more than Progressive. It should even out once I cancel my GMAC trailer policy and get a discount on my existing Farmer's Automobile policies.

Finally completely away from Progressive. They were good, but man were there big holes.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #157

I'm testing out State Farm on my theft right now. I'll post the final result when it's all said and done.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #158

I will be VERY interested in how this turns out as I have the same insurance. Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I will be VERY interested in how this turns out as I have the same insurance. Best of luck.
Thanks Jeff. If we were talking about a Honda Civic, it'd be a very different story.

http://www.mitchell.com handles State Farm Total Loss issues.

More when it's all over.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #160

Wow, I read this thread until I fell asleep last night and it provided a lot of "nightmare material!"
Greg, how did your situation with State Farm end up, or is it still ongoing? I have had a State Farm RV policy since I bought the van used in 2011. Initially it was $660 per year and has gradually decreased to $549 for this year's annual renewal. Some of what I read got me worried enough to call my SF agent this morning and ask some questions. He said that even though the renewal shows it listed as a 2006 Ford E350 Econoline Van, it is an RV Policy and SF clearly knows that it is a van camper conversion. He said that SF doesn't do "stated value policies," but that in the case of a total loss, it is SF's intention "get you back into what you had before." He said keeping all receipts for the conversion, other items added, maintenance records, etc. would all be important to establish the value of the vehicle (read as: basically ammunition to argue up from the depreciated book value of a 2006 SMB). He said that the low mileage, the fact that the Ford diesel vans are no longer made, and record photos of condition would all be used in consideration of establishing the value in the event of a total loss. He also suggested that I could get an appraisal done and submit it to be placed in my file as proof of the current market value at this time. If feel a little better, but I suppose this is all "sales talk" until there is actually a loss event?
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote