Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2023, 08:46 PM   #31

Thanks rizzabove and aarcaris - I did not know that the Aluminess mounts go through to the frame. It looks like they are welded on to the surface of the bumper. I'm still not 100% convinced I need 4WD yet. I want it/cant afford it but maybe don't need it. haha My GF and I like to tour and cruise around. Any jeep trail would be 1000x more fun on a dirt bike than a giant camper van. I keep trying to talk myself out of it!

Vanimal - Yeah I would lean toward coil for ride quality as well I think. 4WD would really be for snow/ice/mud/sand not Hell's Revenge : )

h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced I need 4WD yet. I want it/cant afford it but maybe don't need it. haha My GF and I like to tour and cruise around. Any jeep trail would be 1000x more fun on a dirt bike than a giant camper van. I keep trying to talk myself out of it!

Vanimal - Yeah I would lean toward coil for ride quality as well I think. 4WD would really be for snow/ice/mud/sand not Hell's Revenge : )
I've driven snow days just on 97, and others over the Cascades, where I was really glad to have 4x4, especially shift on the fly. Living in Bend, that alone would make it worth the price of admission for me. You know, the old 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' thing.
2002 E150 RB 4.6 hightop van conversion
1999 E350 RB 5.4 Chateau
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:39 PM   #33

Yeah I sold my RAM 1500 4x4 to do this van build. I do miss the sound of that HEMI! I will go 4WD at some point for sure. Maybe before next winter. Like you said peace of mind.

I did tow a 4500lb travel trailer back up 97 in the snow with my 2WD and it did fine but thats pretty much a straight line haha
Old 02-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks rizzabove and aarcaris - I did not know that the Aluminess mounts go through to the frame. It looks like they are welded on to the surface of the bumper. I'm still not 100% convinced I need 4WD yet. I want it/cant afford it but maybe don't need it. haha My GF and I like to tour and cruise around. Any jeep trail would be 1000x more fun on a dirt bike than a giant camper van. I keep trying to talk myself out of it!

So "build" your van so it can haul one or two dirt bikes. Or a quad - they fit just fine. That's what I do; when I get to an area I want to explore the van becomes basecamp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090569er.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	46498

Name:	P1090603er.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	46499

Name:	P1070597r.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	46500

Name:	P1090274er.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	46501
Old 02-22-2023, 09:34 AM   #35

Quote:
- I did not know that the Aluminess mounts go through to the frame. It looks like they are welded on to the surface of the bumper....
As mentioned prior - the bumper is strong- The factory bumper mounting plates that are pretty much tack welded to the ends of the frame are not. The factory bumper and mounting points were designed around impact forces NOT pulling forces! A full proper welding of those mounts will increase the ability to pull.

Name:  AAD3F05A-3FB3-4FE0-9546-BAF2718D1D44.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  18.9 KB
Old 02-22-2023, 02:00 PM   #36

@deserteagle - the inside is planned out but we will be towing a small cargo or smaller flat moto trailer or just a bike on either end. I like options. Your setup is awesome though. I love motovans!

@1der - Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
As mentioned prior - the bumper is strong- The factory bumper mounting plates that are pretty much tack welded to the ends of the frame are not. The factory bumper and mounting points were designed around impact forces NOT pulling forces! A full proper welding of those mounts will increase the ability to pull.

Attachment 46503
From a crash POV, the welds are probably meant to give/break during an impact as a way of dissipating energy.

While I eventually plan to replace the bumpers on my van, I try not to think about the change in impact dynamics...
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
From a crash POV, the welds are probably meant to give/break during an impact as a way of dissipating energy.

While I eventually plan to replace the bumpers on my van, I try not to think about the change in impact dynamics...

Maybe, but the few corrugated crumple areas directly behind the bumper mount plates are likely the main energy-dissipating feature. I have my front receiver hitch mounted in that area, which I’m sure largely negates that as it basically bridges most of the crumple area with steel. I worried about not a bit, but I’m guessing that crumple area won’t do too much in an accident, anyway.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Maybe, but the few corrugated crumple areas directly behind the bumper mount plates are likely the main energy-dissipating feature. I have my front receiver hitch mounted in that area, which I’m sure largely negates that as it basically bridges most of the crumple area with steel. I worried about not a bit, but I’m guessing that crumple area won’t do too much in an accident, anyway.
It would likely depend on the accident. The intent of crumple areas is to dissipate and redirect energy away from the occupants. In the case of cars, to also direct big, solid objects (like the engine) away from the occupants during an impact. That said, the basic E-series is so old I would imagine many changes were added as stop gap measures during the various platform updates.

The old saying goes, "it ain't the fall the kills you - it's that sudden stop" and the intent of crash engineering is to make the "sudden" part take as much time as possible.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:46 PM   #40

I gotta say any modification alters the intent of the impact design. A raised vehicle a winch, hitch, bumper, the point is once the slightest alteration is made nothing will react as engineered.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote