Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2023, 10:13 PM   #1

Deaver believer....

Man, all I can say is if you have an E-350 based Sportsmobile and are on the fence or undecided about making the jump to Deaver springs, just do it.
The difference these springs and new shocks made in our 06 RB50 is nothing short of a complete transformation.
The original springs, which are known to fail pretty early, were totally sacked and had pretty much "self de-arched" themselves.
The van rode like a locomotive and was all but useless off road, with the front springs less than an inch off of the bump stops.
Just bringing it home from Oregon Spring, it felt a ton more compliant and I caught myself aiming for pot holes, speed bumps and whatever I could to see how it felt.
What a huge improvement.

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #2

Garage
I also have the Deaver springs in my van. They are 100% worth the price of admission. 30k miles so far from Cabo to the Arctic and zero complaints.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:40 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
Man, all I can say is if you have an E-350 based Sportsmobile and are on the fence or undecided about making the jump to Deaver springs, just do it.
The difference these springs and new shocks made in our 06 RB50 is nothing short of a complete transformation.
The original springs, which are known to fail pretty early, were totally sacked and had pretty much "self de-arched" themselves.
The van rode like a locomotive and was all but useless off road, with the front springs less than an inch off of the bump stops.
Just bringing it home from Oregon Spring, it felt a ton more compliant and I caught myself aiming for pot holes, speed bumps and whatever I could to see how it felt.
What a huge improvement.
I had the exact same experience. Mine was so bad I had serious buyers remorse until this was done. Plush!
vandiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #4

I'm assuming that you all got progressive leaf packs from Deaver? What was the rough cost, between the leaf packs themselves and the install?

My van is 2WD, but I've considered getting some properly weighted progressive packs for the rear for a while... the stock 3-4 leaf packs are pretty rough.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:48 PM   #5

Building out the rear of my Express as camper and just assumed I'd go with WeldTec when I'm ready for rear leafs. Always happy to have options though. :watching
Lunatickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:47 PM   #6

Dokaman...
You wouldn't be a Mog guy, would you?
Old 11-07-2023, 10:54 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
Dokaman...
You wouldn't be a Mog guy, would you?
Mog fan for sure! Also been attending NW Mogfest for about 20 years.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:52 AM   #8

I had a 77 416 DOKA for a few years and was at NWMF in 05-06
I'll have another eventually, just need to find the right deal on a later model turbo, fast axle SBU truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7233.jpeg  
Old 11-09-2023, 10:34 AM   #9

10 years on Deavers. Springs have been great but broke the re-welded lower shock mount and the bilstein shocks were off the shelf and not custom-tuned as advertised.

Would do again but might pick different shocks. Breakage on the lower plate is/was a known issue that might not have resulted from Deaver lowering and re-welding the mount. Sportsmobile did do a fix with an additional gusset for strength.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 12:31 PM   #10

Thanks to all the above responses to the Deaver Spring post.
I have a 2003 E350 7.3 Sportsmobile EB50 320,000 miles
It is running better than ever. I am completely satisfied with my van which I took position of in September 2003.
BUT
The above testimonials have me thinking.
When I encounter an offset on a highway or as is my case my driveway. I have to turn hard left because of street parking. So, the rear wheel often falls off the curb 4 or 5 inches. You would think you were in a full-blown hurricane. The rocking back and forth is wicked. Pulling drawers open, flinging items out of cabinets etc etc. I have rather new Bilstein shocks which I am happy with. So do I have a spring issue. Could Deaver Springs be my answer?
I'm in Los Angeles area. Is there any reputable spring, suspension shops locally that I might use? What was the cost experience like?
Thanks
HighCountry Mike
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote