Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2023, 11:29 AM   #1

Quigley Tie Rod alternatives?

Question for the hive, do I have to use the Quigley custom tie rod and drag link ends? They want ~$650 just to ship me two ends and the custom adjuster ($79, which I don't think I need). Do I just suck it up and pay or is there a better option?

Does anyone know what is custom about the Quigley parts? Are they just a longer ends cut down or are they custom tilt angles and cone pitch? I can't really figure out why these would actually need to be different from the F-Series parts.

Does it make sense to do a custom steering setup at this point with stronger beams and readily available rod ends? (Maybe a crossover kit or high steer or something?)

It's a 1997 with a 1995 axle per the Quigley build sheet. The build sheet has QDL-E-3A131-E8B (QDL-E=Quigley Drag Link Econoline?) for the Drag link and QTR-E-3A130-E8C for the tie rod (QTR-E = Quigley Tie Rod Econoline?). These appear to maybe be Ford part numbers? I called Moog and they don't have a cross reference. They did say I could give them the specs and they may be able to find something that will work. A google search finds 3A130 and 3A131 but not the correct suffixes E8B and C.

From Quigley via email:
Left drag link end (attaches to Pitman arm on steering gear box) is Ford part number E7TZ-3304-B.

Right drag link end (attaches to right side tie rod end) is Quigley part number Q3DL-0005, price is $175.35 plus shipping.

Drag link adjusting tube (connects left and right drag link ends) is Quigley part number Q3DL-0011, price is $79.00 plus shipping.

Left tie rod end (attaches to left side steering knuckle) is Ford part number E7TZ-3304-B (same as left drag link end).

Right tie rod end (attaches to right side steering knuckle) is Quigley part number Q3TR-0003, price is $272.00 plus shipping.

Tie rod adjusting tube (joins the two tie rod ends) is Moog part number ES2012S.

UPS Ground shipping charge for the three Quigley specific parts is $121.00.
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:47 AM   #2

I dont have a Quigley, however i think common sense dictates that Quigley didnt change the over width of the axle to install it in your van. The axle is the same thing it was when it was underneath the pickup it came out of. Meaning the tierod ends should be the exact same part you can buy from NAPA.

Take one of yours off and goto napa, tell them you need a tierod for a 1995 Ford F-250 or F-350 pickup 4x4 and compare them. I would bet money they will be identical to the one you took off your van and far less expensive than the Quigley alternative.

I would also bet money that the drag link ends are the same thing you can buy from NAPA with the only difference being the adjustment sleeve length.

Thats also quite a shipping quote they gave you. I just had a pair of 35 spline moly steel double spline axle shafts shipped to me from Dutchman axles they were 42" inches long each, cost to ship half way across the country = $67
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
I dont have a Quigley, however i think common sense dictates that Quigley didnt change the over width of the axle to install it in your van. The axle is the same thing it was when it was underneath the pickup it came out of. Meaning the tierod ends should be the exact same part you can buy from NAPA.

Take one of yours off and goto napa, tell them you need a tierod for a 1995 Ford F-250 or F-350 pickup 4x4 and compare them. I would bet money they will be identical to the one you took off your van and far less expensive than the Quigley alternative.

I would also bet money that the drag link ends are the same thing you can buy from NAPA with the only difference being the adjustment sleeve length.

Thats also quite a shipping quote they gave you. I just had a pair of 35 spline moly steel double spline axle shafts shipped to me from Dutchman axles they were 42" inches long each, cost to ship half way across the country = $67

This is kinda what I was thinking and maybe that's the right approach. However, Quigley does own up to it when they did reuse Ford parts and I think in later years they used more OEM parts. I'm wondering if there is a difference in how the drag link would attach to the tie rod from E-series to F-series. And maybe I would have to get an entire tie rod from the F-series to be the right length if they cluged something together.

And yes, the shipping quote is pretty ridiculous!
Old 09-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #4

From Ron at RuffStuff (thinking this may be the slicker solution, but want to hear if others here have any other creative solutions):
Ok, so the Ford taper is different. You would need to use our knuckle and pitman arm inserts to use our steering kits: Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert 2 Pack (ruffstuffspecialties.com)
Drag Link Insert for High Angle Drag Link (ruffstuffspecialties.com)

The drag link insert would need to be welded to the pitman arm, the knuckle inserts do not need to be welded, but the hole to drill is smaller.

You could then use our DIY Y-link steering kit, but cutting and welding would be required for your vehicle: Y Link Steering using GM 1 Ton TRE (ruffstuffspecialties.com)
These ends can be found through Moog. The only catch is that y-link tie rod end with the hole in it would need to be reamed if you got a Moog replacement. We ream ours before they are sent out in the kits.

-Ron
This totals out to $381 before take and shipping and $472 after tax and shipping but it does require some welding to assemble the rods and welding on the pitman arm...cheaper than Quigley parts and a stronger steering system too, but a bit more work (i can probably do the welding myself, it's just time)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #5

Sky's Offroad Corssover kit

I've also come across this as an option:
https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...14541722419266

It seems that this is more of a high steer kit and nut really necessary for the amount of lift that Quigley conversions incorporate.

In my reading, it also seems that the Ford stock setup is considered crossover steering already since the drag link crosses from driver's side pitman arm to passenger side tie rod (although crossover kits all seem to go to the steering knuckle and not a hole in the tie rod end).

Anyway, just collecting and sharing information as I figure things out here.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #6

bump...searched everywhere it seems and not finding an answer
Old 10-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #7

I have a 2001 Quigley that uses a Chevy D60 axle. I have different part numbers than you do, but I did notice that, for example, the tie rod adjusters were Quigley-only because each side had different size holes. I'm assuming Quigley reamed out and tapped one side to accept a larger shaft (I can't remember which side). I also believe the long tie rod was bent to clear the pumpkin by Quigley.
rgaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 02:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaller View Post
I have a 2001 Quigley that uses a Chevy D60 axle. I have different part numbers than you do, but I did notice that, for example, the tie rod adjusters were Quigley-only because each side had different size holes. I'm assuming Quigley reamed out and tapped one side to accept a larger shaft (I can't remember which side). I also believe the long tie rod was bent to clear the pumpkin by Quigley.
Ya the custom adjuster doesn't really bother me since those don't really wear out unless they rust away. I think the adjuster in my case is so you could use an econoline drag link end at the pitman arm still and then there are different threads to the F-series drag link.

I can't figure out why they would need to bend the tie rod to clear the pumpkin though because there should be no difference in the pumpkin from the donor vehicle to the van...that's the part that really has me scratching my head.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #9

gonna bump again...I feel like I've seen pics of people's drag links with a hole reamed in it like it was supposed to be a tie rod and not a drag link.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post

I went to NAPA twice and spent a few hours there each time...we found a tie rod that was close and likely close enough (had an extra bend, but that should only add additional clearance)...come to find out it's not a whole lot cheaper than the Quigley one ($216 vs. $272) and only has a 1 yr warranty. I will probably get a moog version of the same. I'm actually wondering if the Quigley part number was to incorporate the bolt-on steering damper bracket.

The drag link we couldn't find though. I don't need one right away, but might soon. I think the issue with the drag link is the location of the steering box relative to the tie rod. The van probably sits more foreward on the frame than a truck would? The bend on the truck one was in the opposite direction as the one I have. And the drag link adjuster is a longer one from Quigley (but mine is reusable so not even worried about that)

Tags
dana 60, e-350, quigley 4x4 conversion