Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Glider - are you having John leave your block in the rear and just rearching the springs or eliminating the block and re arching the springs?

Edit - And if he didn't replace the rear shocks when you had your conversion done, what did he do? Reweld the shock mounts on the axle?

Arctic - I am enjoying the thread, thanks for starting it!
Quadvan uses a bolt-on shock relocation mount in the rear for stock length shocks. That's how mine came anyway.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #32

Garage
In response to #28-31:

I really like how my van rides just the way it is, but I do want the back end to come up a bit. Consequently, I'm perfectly happy to keep the existing springs if the re-arching will give me the lift I am looking for.

That means that the blocks will stay in place in this iteration. At some point, it might be nice to lose the blocks, if I find a set of rear springs that have the appropriate amount of lift and will still give me the same comfy ride that I currently have and am spoiled by. I'm not in a rush to make that happen, though. I want to see what the re-arching does, and drive on that for a while.

Shocks: current shocks appear to be original, with a bolt-on shock relocation mount per MG's comment in #31. I have heard great things about Agile's re-valved Fox shocks, but I also heard that the Fox shocks have a chrome-plated mild steel shaft, whereas the Bilsteins have a stainless steel shaft. I come from a marine background, and I generally look askance at close-tolerance moving parts in wet environments if they are not made from stainless steel. In my experience, a chrome part in that kind of environment will tend to pit and rust rather quickly. That said--I have not yet looked specifically into the Fox shocks, so I could be entirely wrong about their composition. What do you guys know? Are they really chrome-plated steel? If so, how long do they hold up in the Pacific NorthWET environment?

The fun continues...
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Glider;198541]In response to #28-31:
Shocks: current shocks appear to be original, with a bolt-on shock relocation mount per MG's comment in #31. I have heard great things about Agile's re-valved Fox shocks, but I also heard that the Fox shocks have a chrome-plated mild steel shaft, whereas the Bilsteins have a stainless steel shaft. I come from a marine background, and I generally look askance at close-tolerance moving parts in wet environments if they are not made from stainless steel.

Remember that stainless is weaker than steel. I don't know what Fox uses, but that may be part if the reason if they do. What I do know is that I've had them on my van for several years and I haven't had any problems yet. Today I spent a hour under my van painting on rust converter over all the rust from a winter of B.C. salt. Since my shocks have boots on them, I didn't look at the shafts, but if they were rusted, they would be leaking. Even if they did rust, you could replace just the shaft. Aside from all that though, what you might miss with another brands stainless shafts is the custom tuned ride you get with Agile's Fox's. The amount of money these vans suck out of our wallets is amazing, fortunately the cost of a couple shocks is pretty reasonable in the big picture.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #34

Garage
Arctic, do you know if boots are available for the Agile custom-valved Fox shocks? I was under the impression that they do not come with them--and the rear shocks especially seem to get hammered with debris, which makes the potential corrosion issue even more of a concern for me.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Arctic, do you know if boots are available for the Agile custom-valved Fox shocks? I was under the impression that they do not come with them--and the rear shocks especially seem to get hammered with debris, which makes the potential corrosion issue even more of a concern for me.
Universal boots are available all over, you will have no problem finding some. I used the ones off my old Rancho's.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Universal boots are available all over, you will have no problem finding some. I used the ones off my old Rancho's.
Gotcha. Thank you!
Ready to Rumble!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #37

You might want to check out Gitt Springs in Auburn WA. I bought some parts from them and the guy there indicated he could make rear springs to remove the blocks. Didn't discuss it to much with him but might be worth a call.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
You might want to check out Gitt Springs in Auburn WA. I bought some parts from them and the guy there indicated he could make rear springs to remove the blocks. Didn't discuss it to much with him but might be worth a call.
Thanks, that looks like an interesting shop to know about. Based on their web site, it looks like they think pretty carefully about what they do. I'm a sucker for folks who think. ;-)
Ready to Rumble!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
i specifically asked ramsey about boots when i bought my rip kit and he said they wernt needed. however after bending a rod on one of mine somehow i called and talked with john about my options for replacement. after a discussion about how and where i use my van he recommended that since i was using my van in extreme weather that boots would be a good idea. when i sent mine in for an updated revalve they came back with boots. so if you are getting them from agile, just make sure you request them. apparently ramsey never bothered with them as they generally arent needed in the desert.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #40

Garage
Thank you, Shenrie!
Ready to Rumble!