Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #41

Fox has a set of "roost guards" for their shocks too. If there is room for them to fit down by the shock mounts... I have a set sitting here doing nothing because they won't fit with my particular shock mount tabs.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Fox has a set of "roost guards" for their shocks too. If there is room for them to fit down by the shock mounts... I have a set sitting here doing nothing because they won't fit with my particular shock mount tabs.

I have these on the rear of mine.. They did have to be modified a bit to fit, but I also don't have stock mounts.

As far as boots I don't think they're that helpful, in my opinion they generally don't prevent much dirt and moisture from getting in, but do a great job of trapping it once in.

And for longevity, my FOX shocks are three years old, have no issues, live outside in SF, have been on the beach in Baja repeatedly, and are offroad a lot. Still work perfectly.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #43

Garage
^^^ i wanted them to help keep the strut rods from getting pitted. basically the same thing those roost guards do. i have mine installed so that they just float at the bottom. otherwise you are correct, they just trap moisture.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
As far as boots I don't think they're that helpful, in my opinion they generally don't prevent much dirt and moisture from getting in, but do a great job of trapping it once in..
I'm sure your correct. Mine are secured with zip ties top and bottom, but have drain holes at the bottom, which no doubt let in dirt and moisture. Still, that's probably less of an issue than one good rock ding. So, we have members with no protection, open roost gaurds, and fully enclosed boots, but no one has reported problems with corroded shafts. I think that what ever material the shafts are made of, they just don't corrode much.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #45

Garage
Geez, you guys are talking shocks to a whole new level. I'd be more concerned about blocks in the rear of my van than what my shocks were made out of, But that's why I love this forum. So many opinions and information.

I'd go with Agiles shocks no matter what. They obviously have done the research and know what van needs what so I would say it's a no brainer for custom applications.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post

I have a set of these on the hot dog and I don't know how well they work but I like the idea behind them.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #47

[QUOTE=Nrobert10;198561]You might want to check out Gitt Springs in Auburn WA. /QUOTE]

I knew someone would come up with a solution that works for me. I actually had heard of Gitt once before but had forgotten about them. With my departure for Moab just a few days away, it will have to wait though. Thanks so much, this forum is a great resource.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #48

I very recently had Gitt Spring do some work on my van.
Next time I will speak with other shops before deciding where to spend my money.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I very recently had Gitt Spring do some work on my van.
Next time I will speak with other shops before deciding where to spend my money.
Buffalo, that sounds like something to pay attention to. What kind of work did GS do for you?
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #50

Buffalo please explain what happened? It would be good to understand so the rest of us don't make the same mistake.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote