Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #381

not desperate lol just gonna get there in a couple of weeks haha, thank you

motovan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #382

I think everyone doing their first 4x4 van conversion goes through desperation at least once.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #383

Well -- I like math a lot, so I made a spreadsheet to help with perfecting the ratio adjustment. All you need to input is the modified/stock gear ratio, tire size and number of tone ring teeth and the spreadsheet will output your adjustment ratio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RatioAdjuster.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	36620

Link to copy the google sheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...lSaIN0h8Q/copy

For example -- my adjustment factor is .158 -- which accounts for a lower gear ratio (4.30 vs 3.55), bigger tires (35'' vs 30.5'') and the increase in the number of pulses per output shaft revolution (3 on the 2WD 4R100 and 18 on the 4WD 4R100). This is a very low adjustment factor!

As a note -- the Abbott ERA Calibration Table online only goes down to .330 for fine adjustments, but it appears that if you you tell them the exact number you need they can provide something within .1%.

I'm going to try this unit which looks affordable and well made...
Universal Speedometer Corrector

Unless of course I can find that Abbott ERA I bought like six months ago that I probably accidently threw out with the trash...

EDIT:
I assume the 2WD tranny has a 3 tooth tone ring since that was noted previously on this thread. From the looks of it online the 4R100 2WD Tranny also has a 18 tooth tone ring... so you may just really need to adjust for tire size and gear ratio... wish I pulled the tailhousing off my 2WD unit before selling it, oh well.

The ATSG says the 4WD version doesn't even have a tone ring, which is wrong!

Anyways -- you can easily manipulate that parameter in the spreadsheet -- so have fun with it if you want!!

EDIT 2:
Well that was a rabbit hole -- seems the van 4R100 is actually a gear driven output speed sensor -- perhaps that's where it gets the 3 pulses per rotation. No idea how it works -- but I assume it is generating AC voltage/hertz based on rotation -- so given that the Abbott ERA works -- it must be somewhat compatible with what the computer wants.

Another reason I want to add an oscilloscope to the toolbox someday.

Vehicles are funny sometimes -- the more you learn, the less you know.
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #384

I am building a 12ft box truck soon. I plan on going with the MG kit. I see there's basically every part listed I need.

Just wondering about custom rear 6" springs? How/who are you guys using for them?
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:23 AM   #385

I reckon any spring shop can do 'em -- but it's better if you finish your build and then get your leafs made... that way they can spec them accordingly.

I know most spring builders will tell you the same thing...

I'm going with a shackle flip from Sky's Offroad for my van -- once I finish my build -- I'll consider flipping the shackle back over and getting custom leafs.

I don't know anyone who makes plug-n-play springs for the conversions -- I'm sure Chris @ UJoint would know about what you need, but I doubt he'll give you the info given you aren't using his kit.

Maybe others here know -- but I'm just passing along what I found out when I asked a similar question to a few Spring builders about 9 months ago
Old 11-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnievan View Post
I reckon any spring shop can do 'em -- but it's better if you finish your build and then get your leafs made... that way they can spec them accordingly.

I know most spring builders will tell you the same thing...

I'm going with a shackle flip from Sky's Offroad for my van -- once I finish my build -- I'll consider flipping the shackle back over and getting custom leafs.

I don't know anyone who makes plug-n-play springs for the conversions -- I'm sure Chris @ UJoint would know about what you need, but I doubt he'll give you the info given you aren't using his kit.

Maybe others here know -- but I'm just passing along what I found out when I asked a similar question to a few Spring builders about 9 months ago
Thanks.

I have a UJOR kit on my van now. If I can't get what I want for it, I will part it out and use the parts on the new build.

I may take measurements of my springs for future reference.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #387

Another question.

What will I have to do to combat the RSC system? Does the newer axles come with RSC sensors on the hubs?

I read somewhere that 08+ vans need to have something for the RSC system.

Which axle has the biggest brakes?

This is going to be for a 2021 box truck.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Another question.

What will I have to do to combat the RSC system? Does the newer axles come with RSC sensors on the hubs?

I read somewhere that 08+ vans need to have something for the RSC system.

This is going to be for a 2021 box truck.
I didn't' have any issues on my 2010 E350 using a 2008 F350 front Axle. Only the connectors for the ABS sensors needed to be changed (Connectors were the same, just the female end was on the frame on the truck and on the sensor on the van, or vice versa)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
2013+ axles have 14.3" brake rotors -- 2005-2012 axles have 13.66" brake rotors -- roughly a 10% increase in braking surface area.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonredrider View Post
I didn't' have any issues on my 2010 E350 using a 2008 F350 front Axle. Only the connectors for the ABS sensors needed to be changed (Connectors were the same, just the female end was on the frame on the truck and on the sensor on the van, or vice versa)
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnievan View Post
2013+ axles have 14.3" brake rotors -- 2005-2012 axles have 13.66" brake rotors -- roughly a 10% increase in braking surface area.
Thanks!