Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #11

So what is it?

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

I learned about and then read up on the unit bearings a while back. I have them in my van, and am not really worried about them.

Yes, I check them during service to make sure they aren't due, but so far so good (miles on my axle are unknown, likely high). Replacements are more money than press in bearings, but probably overall cheaper if you DIY the unit bearing swap, rather than having to have someone press in the bearing.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I learned about and then read up on the unit bearings a while back. I have them in my van, and am not really worried about them.

Yes, I check them during service to make sure they aren't due, but so far so good (miles on my axle are unknown, likely high). Replacements are more money than press in bearings, but probably overall cheaper if you DIY the unit bearing swap, rather than having to have someone press in the bearing.
Good intel - thank you.
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
So what is it?
Really it was just a mission - which isn't accomplished until I'm home w/the rig & I show up at my job on Tues ... I'm trying to squeeze in another objective also ...

7.3 .. I don't know how to post pics from the road... Apparently other people wanted this van ... Right after I bought it a guy in UT calls and wants it... The seller says - want to make some $ ?

I will have to teach myself how to do this when I get home...

So far I've learned -

(w/o a schematic i.e. empirically the the data link power source for the scanner port is on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter at the dash ... No manual, you'd think changing a fuse is a low priority ... this is what happens w/o experience or a schematic or a trouble shooting guide

I also learned that the overflow on a van will drain under the van... not like a truck down the body panel... Top it off & I think I have a leaky fuel tank, doh!!!!

That Quigley has good customer support & can send you the original build info and an exploded parts diagram w/the quickness

Good times ... It took 8 months for me to get here ... got to go, I'm 50 min away from where I get to sleep
Old 09-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #15

hmm another lesson learned...

When on the phone w/ the bank cause your credit card is locked out and between being passed around trying to learn to pair the iPhone to the Nav/Stereo/AV do jigger...

The glow plugs must draw some amps - over an hour of off/on for the NAV pairing drained the battery's pretty low...

I've never worked with a diesel w/ glow plugs... I'm used to EMD, Caterpillar,
Deitroit, MAK, Wartsilla... bigger diesels bigger than this van...

Conclusion - learning curve to a van 7.3 psd

First world problems... lolz
Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

Are you asking if the front bearings need to be packed? We have a 2001 Quigley and those bearings do need to be serviced on a regular basis (learned the hard way).
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr View Post
Are you asking if the front bearings need to be packed? We have a 2001 Quigley and those bearings do need to be serviced on a regular basis (learned the hard way).
That's the first time I've heard anything that substantiates Ford's choice on moving to the unit bearings. I suppose that's the direction of forward progress these days. Service free, field replaceable units that have some life span to them. In this case really large tires reduce the lifespan.

One more bit of info, amazon has what appear to be good quality timken unit bearings for a reasonable price. (Once I found that I was comfortable with what I have).

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
One more bit of info, amazon has what appear to be good quality timken unit bearings for a reasonable price. (Once I found that I was comfortable with what I have).
Meaning?, ON AMAZON; I enter Ford 2002 E350 every combination and no unit bearings are compatible...
So I don't follow, are you saying you are not running them?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr View Post

So how often do you have to repack your hubs?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 AM   #20

At the time, before I paid for this beast, my intent was to establish, according to the Quigley build info weather or not the seller was trying to send me down the road w/something that would blow up on me, so to speak. I didn't know if he was fibbing.

Didn't know how to I.D. the older style Quigley hubs vs the Ford pickup front ends that Quigley switched over to.

I drove the thing across S Dakota, Montana, and Washington. And on the final leg I drove it from Devils Tower to Seattle only to stop for fuel... Got in yesterday morning about 7 am, left D.T. 1 pm day before... Basically now that I know it better I trust it more.

I'm still looking into some minor things such as how the Auxiliary Idle Module Control unit interfaces with the data link to the ECM.

The datalink (scanner access port) is on the same fuse as the front cigar lighter... You would think when said front lighter is charging you iPhone then the datalink and the scanner would work... Only way we've been able to scan the codes is if the scanner is taking 12v right off the battery posts.

So I suspect on the Aux Idle Control Module (AICM) the Datalink power is going to power it - somehow the connection to the isn't right.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...info/apcm.php3

I have no wiring schematic so that's on the to do list. I'm headed to the dealership and plan on picking the parts counter's help info about wiring later today.

If this is even the right diagram?, then
https://www.google.com/search?q=auxi...2sRDPnNQwTM%3A
maybe there is a short from the Ref Signal to the bus and somehow that is effecting port power... Or maybe you get 1 or the other NOT both...

I need to figure this out prior to installing the new old stock OEM Cruise Control kit I found... otherwise I don't have access to any codes if something goes wrong (I don't have access to a code reader that has leads to stretch to the battery posts...

It's pretty interesting owning my first diesel... this 7.3 psd sounds a lot like a Cat 3408 when driving it down the road.

Oh yeah I need to find a TP 55 Torxplus socket to remove some benches... And measure if any of the benches might line up 90 deg to where they are factory mounted.

Lots of things to do... did I just buy a boat or something?, lolz