Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2024, 10:52 AM   #1

Rear axle thread?

Is there a definitive thread or faq on swapping in a late model Sterling rear axle?
I'd live to chat with someone who's done this, just to line up my ducks before buying an axle...

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:07 PM   #2

I'll be doing mine soon as well. Reigning in some info is well timed Dave!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:06 PM   #3

Garage
I did my sterling 10.5 swap in the fall of 2022 on my 2013 Eseries van. I documented it on my build thread ("Vandit" a Build Thread) and had some basic info in my planning thread (U-Joint 4x4 Conversion Suggestions). When I was doing the planning I reached out to Micheal (@MGmetalworks)as he had commented on my planning thread saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Yes, there is a way to do it... use a later model axle with individual wheel sensors. A lot of them already have an E-locker too. If you pm me your email, I can forward some info about Sterling axles/years/part numbers.

I've had many customers with RSC vans convert to Sterling axles... So have a lot of Quadvan customers. It's not a difficult conversion at all. I have a 2014 RSC Van (Quadvan conversion) in my shop right now in here for some custom work the has a late model Sterling in it if you're ever over in the valley and want to take a look.
When I emailed him he gave me a PDF document that had some good info on what was needed and what to look for in an axle which was super helpful. It was a document put together for his company Expo Vans and since he has stepped away from things on here and the business of vans I don't know if he would want me to share it publicly. If anyone is interested in the PDF document with information about the swap, feel free to message me, and I'll be happy to share it.

I am also happy to answer any questions regarding the swap.

Here is the link to my build thread where I started the 4x4 conversion and sterling swap. ("Vandit" A build Thread) Started on post #167 and finished the conversion/swap by post #188.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:24 PM   #4

Garage
Did mine in 2017. Used 2005 f250 axle. Converted to f350 unit bearings in front at the same time so I didn’t need to rely on quigley for custom stuff any longer. That means I had to buy new wheels. Biggest surprise was that 16’s didn’t fit over the 10.5 rear brakes ��
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:29 PM   #5

My van has a 2014 F350 rear axle under it, here is what I know:
  1. -It has both axles from the same 2014 F350. With 4.30 gears and 37s it runs down the road real nice with plenty of power and speedometer is close enough to accurate, reads 2 or 3 MPH high at 80.
  2. -Superduty wheels and brakes on all 4 corners
  3. -Late model superduty hubs with 2002-ish F250 ABS sensors spliced in to van sensor plugs keeps the front ABS happy
  4. -Rear axle has been modified to acceot 2006 E-350 ABS sensor (hole in pumpkin, modified tone ring on carrier, abandoned rear ABS sensors at wheels) keeps rear ABS happy
  5. -New spring perches and shock mounts welded to rear axle to accomodate Econoline frame width
  6. -New high arch rear springs without a silly amount of lift blocks to accomodate 37s.
  7. -Factory e-locker works perfect, just feed it switched 12 volts.
  8. -Ford spec calls for 12V to engage the rear locker and then drops to 5V to sustain, in practice this is not needed, plenty of threads on this on Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Simple swap, would reccommend. No more rear spacers, same bolt pattern front and rear, big honkin breaks.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
I did my sterling 10.5 swap in the fall of 2022 on my 2013 Eseries van. I documented it on my build thread
I almost mentioned you specifically amigo. I've been meaning to go back and re-read your thread. Thanks for speaking up. I, for one, will be picking your brain when I get around to this.

@Big_ern_101, good stuff, thanks for sharing.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:20 PM   #7

MG told me in a conversation that the easiest rear axles for the conversion are ‘05-‘07 F-series. I don’t know enough to say why. Sure miss having him around.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:25 PM   #8

I just bought a 2014 Sterling axle with the e-locker built in.

I will watch this thread as well, but I can't be any help. My box truck doesn't have a rear axle speed sensor in it. And I am building a 4 link air bag, auto leveling rear end.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
MG told me in a conversation that the easiest rear axles for the conversion are ‘05-‘07 F-series. I don’t know enough to say why. Sure miss having him around.
05 to 07 rear axles will let you keep the 3 channel ABS used on the earlier vans with no machining of the rear diff. Same sensor as the vans. Plug n chug.

11+ will get you the rear e-locker if you look for one. But you lose working ABS if you have it or you need to modify the rear diff to accept the earlier ABS sensor.

The argument at this point could be made that 11+ would be easier to find in decent shape.

The actual work to swap the axles is roughly the same other than the aformentioned ABS.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:22 PM   #10

That’s good info. Thanks for the insight Big_ern.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote