Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

CCV in passenger express?

Hi there everyone, I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer. I have a short window of opportunity to purchase a 2014 Chevy Express 1500 passenger van. Really I need to make my decision tomorrow. Sportsmobile won't add a penthouse because of the curtain airbags. Colorado Camper Vans website says it can add a pop-top. Has anyone ever done this with a chevy passenger? What's involved, and why can CCV do this when Sportsmobile can't? Thanks so much for your help, CCV staff are out of the office for a few days, otherwise I'd have my answer with a super quick phone call. Thanks again!
Mike

fishcolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #2

I'd be very surprised if they will do it. If they do, they might be unknowingly making themselves liable insurance wise. Neither you nor them wants that. That is why SMB won't mess with them. No companies that I know of will do much to the roof of a modern passenger vans because the airbags are so big and intrusive. Also, you don't want to add cabinets over curtain airbags, which reach from the base of the A pillar to the rear most pillar and will grenade your cabinets and injure or possibly kill anyone in the van. This is serious stuff. Don't screw with curtain airbags.

Personally, I'd pass on the van if you want to make a camper out of it, or get comfortable with completely removing the curtain bags and dealing with the light and code it will throw.

I just bought a 2010 Express cargo van and am very happy that it only has curtain airbags to the B pillar (that's the one right above the shoulders of the front seat occupants for anyone who doesn't know) so they don't interfere with the fixed top that was added by Fiberine.

Fiberine might be a good call to make for you too. I wonder what their stance is on modern passenger vans. They might just be an option because the fixed tops really don't interfere with anything that is below the roof line, but you'd still have the same problem of not wanting to cover them up if you built it out.

Good luck, keep us posted on this.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks so much Eric! I really appreicate it. That was exactly the straightforward explanation that I've been looking for. Keeping items away from the A-pillar forward hadn't occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense.

What does everyone do who travels with the family in a cargo van? I can't imagine it would be too pleasant to ride without windows and a view outside. I've thought of adding an awning & screening to the back of the van and leaving that open for camping, with the bed at the rear, just inside.

I wish there was another built in option. Like a Westfalia, only not 30 years old. Does anyone run a roof-top tent on their vans?
For now, the price is right on this van, if it stays that way I might pick it up and add a small Boulder off-road lift and keep the camping build to a bed.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

SMB has too much demand to bother with the airbags. Plus, they are RVIA certified for installing seats in cargo vans, so their libility is limited. CCV will do the install. IN my CCV transit, the airbags are still there and would protect in the even of a crash. The hole for the bed is inside of the airbags and the top sits on the roof, so there isn't much intrusion. I would do the CCV top.

I have a RTT on a mid roof transit. It's not as nice, but its still nice. And it was like $4500 for the tent and racks instead of $13k.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Good info Gramps. I did not think any converter would do a top with full curtain airbags.

@Fishcolo, most converters like SMB use cargo vans unless a passenger van is spec'd or the customer already owns it. They add seats and windows to the cargo vans. However, up until a few years ago, most vans didn't have full curtain airbags so it didn't matter.

I've seen lots of RTT's on vans but I don't see why unless they are sleeping kids up there. Vans are great for having a bed inside, ready to go, and with most there is room. It really just depends on use case for the owner.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #6

Great info guys! I knew this was the right place for my question.
I did end up picking up the van. Just waiting on the bank now. I think the bed in the back is the way I’ll go, maybe a convertible sofa unit. I have a friend here in Denver who builds camper kits for Sprinters professionally and will probably see what he can come up with.
My wife likes the idea of a RTT, but I read quite a bit of complaints about them. Mostly build quality, care stuff.
Do you guys have any experience with Boulder Off road lifts? Specifically the small 2” package. They tell me I could fit a 265 tire post lift. It sure seems like there are a lot of camper van modification businesses here in CO.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #7

Boulder Off Road is your friend if you have a Chevy/GMC. They do more mechanical mods than anyone I know of on GM vans. I didn't do any of it, but Accrete (member here who previously owned my current van) had a lot of work done by them underneath. It shows. It's the best riding, best handling van I've ever driven by a huge margin.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yes, Don at BOR does some nice work and knows his stuff. I take our rig there for anything chassis related if he can fit me in, he just put in a new front drive shaft and had him build me a full float a few years ago.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Yes, Don at BOR does some nice work and knows his stuff. I take our rig there for anything chassis related if he can fit me in, he just put in a new front drive shaft and had him build me a full float a few years ago.
Cool Rick, I didn't know they messed with Fords at all.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:06 AM   #10

I'm pretty sure the side-curtain airbags on the Express are not full-length, stopping at the C-pillar. Maybe even shorter, since their literature only stated "2nd row side curtain airbags". It that's true, maybe they could leave the forward roof section completely intact and only cut open the rear of the van?

On the Transit, the side-curtain airbag mount completely to the walls, so cutting the roof open doesn't affect them.

One thing to keep in mind on the Express is how narrow the roof-line is. If the lifting mechanism has to be move inboard even more to clear any airbags, that might make the space too narrow for 2 to sleep?