Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #1

Garage
Exped 7.5 Duo Sleeping Pad

We decided we wanted to try a sleeping pad/mattress in our EB50 SMB. I ordered the Exped Duo pad from REI. Although it’s classified as a pad (not an air mattress), it does have an inflation valve to give it a little extra firmness.

We haven’t used it on a trip, yet, but it fits great and feels pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
2F68BD0E-477C-4469-86E6-0253B79C07DD.jpg  

wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #2

Garage
I also have an Exped Duo I use on the upper pop-top bed and it makes a world of difference! (keep the valve open & leave it in place when top goes down since it almost squishes flat)
Good choice.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Garage
I have one I have been using as well.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #4

Garage
Expeds are the bomb!

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I also have an Exped Duo I use on the upper pop-top bed and it makes a world of difference! (keep the valve open & leave it in place when top goes down since it almost squishes flat)
Good choice.
Perfect you answered my pending question about leaving it stowed up top I usually sleep up top & wife/ kid down below.. that SMB penthouse pad is definitely rough on the back and hips. With the dimensions of this pad are you still able to access the cantilever top lockdown thing in the back? after looking at your profile pic you have an EB I have an RB..guess I’ll pop the top & get up there with a tape measure. This definitely seems like the best solution to the existing thin pad
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkchop View Post
Perfect you answered my pending question about leaving it stowed up top I usually sleep up top & wife/ kid down below.. that SMB penthouse pad is definitely rough on the back and hips. With the dimensions of this pad are you still able to access the cantilever top lockdown thing in the back? after looking at your profile pic you have an EB I have an RB..guess I’ll pop the top & get up there with a tape measure. This definitely seems like the best solution to the existing thin pad
Yes - But there are two sizes; a medium at 72" long x 41" wide, and an XL which is 6 or 7" longer and 7 or 8" wider.
I opted for the 72" so it would fit the upper bunk without hanging out on one end and still allowing access to the rear pop-top hook. My assessment was the XL wouldn't work because it would have 6 or 7" hanging out the front (area towards the front seats), and it would be too wide to fit between the pop-top cross bars (you'd have to fold the edges over, and doubling up would create excessive height for the top to come down completely)- not such a problem when the top is up, but no space for the excess when the top is down.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #7

Garage
I'll add, if you leave it on the top mattress when lowering the top make sure you leave the valve open so air can escape - BUT, before you plan to get on the mattress I suggest closing the valve since it will help maintain the volume of the pad.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
KDB

I use the exped megamat duo and single for both beds. On top of those i have one inch memory foam. Extremely comfortable.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #9

I have a 10 day trip planned and was not looking forward to the SMB bunk and you guys convinced me. Went out an bought the Exped Max Duo medium. Currently set up per instructions in living room for 24 hours and my canine brother is doing quality control nap on it. Grazie all for the info and storage information.
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #10

As if needed, I'm another happy Megamat user. I have a long Megamat Duo that I will never part with.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote