Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #1

Locker for the big_dirt_e350

Im thinking of a locker for my rig... I have zero knowledge....

I called a local tranny and diff place here in boise and they quoted me $2300 for a true trac... Installed with new bearings...

Seems very high to me...

Any info?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Ps 2009 e350 extended 2wd 5.4 moog diesel springs infront, wheel spacers hellwig front and rear sway, bilsteins, stock size ko2s

happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #2

Vans have a different axle spline count than pickups, which can cause you some grief. Some lockers are not available with the van spline count. This can affect availability (and price).

All that being said, I suggest looking at the manufacturer's websites to confirm the locker you want is available, and calling around for prices on the install. I think Buck's quoted me about 1800 on a Dana 60 a couple years ago, but don't take that as gospel.

I used True tracs in both ends of my van, and I'm happy with them (Dana 60 front, Sterling 10.5 rear).
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #3

$2300 seems a little high but not outrageous based on the prices others have reported.

Might help to do some research on limited slip diff vs locking diff, and the various kinds of each. You mention you want a "locker," but a truetrac is a LSD. So I think there might be some confusion with the terminology.

This is an really great video going over most of the basics:
https://youtu.be/x40WGUtdaLI
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #4

Garage
I paid about $1,100 with a gear change just for labor on a rear locker install a few years back.
Seems like your shop is a bit high but in the ball park with parts included.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #5

Installed ARB air lockers front and rear in my 2007 E350 14 years ago. Been very happy with them - not one problem so far. Only had to use them a few times - but they made all the difference.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Installed ARB air lockers front and rear in my 2007 E350 14 years ago. Been very happy with them - not one problem so far. Only had to use them a few times - but they made all the difference.
I'll second this endorsement; My ARB's have been on for 15yrs, and no issues.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #7

The Trutrac units have had some random issues lately, I'd recommend doing some additional research on them. Try googling "Trutrac chatters" then read these threads.
Plenty of folks love them, but............

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ded-17973.html More info starting at post 30

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ade-30073.html More info starting at post 14
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #8

Also went for ARB for my 2WD. Price difference not toooo big and I installed the twin compressor for on board air.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #9

Chris at UJOR has been recommending people stay away from ARB air lockers due to quality issues they've experienced. Not sure how long that's been going on, but it's interesting to hear that the ones installed 15 yrs ago are still holding up today. I wonder if something has changed over the years.

For lockers UJOR seems to recommend the OX cable actuated version. They also use Detroit TrueTrac as the default for the front. Maybe the chatter is a non-issue on the front because normally on pavement you'd be driving in 2WD with the front hubs unlocked?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampingcouple View Post
Im thinking of a locker for my rig... I have zero knowledge....

I called a local tranny and diff place here in boise and they quoted me $2300 for a true trac... Installed with new bearings...

Seems very high to me...

Any info?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Ps 2009 e350 extended 2wd 5.4 moog diesel springs infront, wheel spacers hellwig front and rear sway, bilsteins, stock size ko2s
Thought i saw your van on State this evening...?

As far as local shops, I wouldn't go to Boise 4x4 as I had a friend have to redo the work to his gears.
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote