Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2024, 06:07 PM   #11

Re ShuttlePilot reply -- mine also has a bit of a droop at the front 2 latch area - I try to check and re-apply new butyl every year - van was garaged for 17 years before I purchased it - so I've got my fingers crossed its not like boywonders post !?

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
My 2005 West build, RB, manual top, has always had that sag in the front, less so in the back. It was noticeable when I purchased my van used in 2010. Water has always puddled on the roof. People assume it is caused by my installation of the fan and cutting through the roof. It's always been there and I actually reinforced my roof when installing the fan just for this reason. On mine the lowest point is where the front two latches bolt through the roof as if they were way too tight at sometime. the roof isn't floppy, I can walk on it and it doesn't feel spongy. Dunno. I don't loose sleep over it.

- Eric
Thanks, That makes me feel better.
the major dip is right where the latches attach. my latch plates are also slightly bent which suggest someone was cranking the thing down super tight.

I really dont have time to mess with it for awhile so Ill have to leave it as is. I need to put a fan up there though so I'll have better chance to check it out when I start that project.

what my top really needs to a new rubber seal

Mitch
Mwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:04 PM   #13

thanks everyone for all the help. If I discover something pertinent in the future Ill update this thread
Old 02-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwood View Post
what my top really needs to a new rubber seal
Here's what you need. I did mine this Summer.

https://shop.fieldvan.com/pop-top-rubber-gasket/
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:09 AM   #15

Hi Joe - Another forum member has communicated to me that the rubber PH "band" is a must have to prevent water intrusion especially in a driving ran - and driving. However, it could have a shortcoming in that the 6 indented channels on all Ford vans - are not going to benefit from the "band" because the band fails to drop/seal into the channels - which could cause rain to run into the edges of the canvas - and possibly make its way into other areas of the roof. I'm guessing the Sprinter and Transit roofs are smooth - without the roof channels like the Ford. Any replies or first hand experiences out there ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #16

Garage
Russ, the gasket along the bottom of the penthouse doesn’t seal well on the front above the cab because of those roof channels - the rubber on the gasket doesn’t seat well because it rests mostly on the higher ridge of the roof…so yes, if you are parked on a slope where the front of the van is higher than the rear any water will drain inside. Same would apply if you are driving in rain, the wind will blow the water under.
Years ago I placed self adhesive neoprene pads in those channels (cut the edges at an angle to accommodate the angle of the channel). Now when my top comes down the rubber gasket on the roof rests nicely across the neoprene so I don’t get any water intrusion- hardly get any dust or debris inside either.
https://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Adhesi...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

I can’t remember if I order 1/2” or 3/4” pads - they just need to stick out above the roof line by 3/8” or so to gain a good seal. I did cut the pads down so they were about 3” deep (about 1/2” in front of the gasket and the rest sets back underneath). Only did this because the roof doesn’t come down exactly in the same location (pretty close, but some deviation based on the angle of the van when the top is lowered).
Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #17
Orv

Garage
My 1990 has a slight sag, but not as bad as in the picture. It also doesn't mushroom out. I assume it's just from years of the latches pulling down in that area.

It's worth noting that there are also construction differences between Sportsmobile California and Sportsmobile Texas. They each had their own set of molds for the tops. Mine is a Texas top.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #18

That's a great pro tip Felix. Although I've never had an issue in 20 years with leakage from that front area I'm considering doing the same preemptively. The new gasket from FieldVan is slightly bigger than original and does spooge down into those front roof indentions pretty well.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:02 AM   #19

See this thread..
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ons-32150.html
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
If top is tightly clamped, the center on the texas build, is "sagged/pulled down", so the sidewalls can spread more.
interesting

Tags
fiberglass, penthouse, roof, sag