Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #28

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Pics of what you tow with your Sportsmobile

Towing/Dragging - whatever!

I felt a little wiggle, looked in the rear view mirror and saw my tire/wheel trying to pass me on the right side - then it appeared on the left side - last I saw it it was headed off into the desert on the right side - at some point it left a big skid mark in the rear trailer door about four feet up!

I dragged the trailer until I found a spot to pull off that as luck would have it was "paved". We had recently crossed into Baja Sur at Guerrero Negro but figured we were closer to Vizcaino.

We lost a wheel bearing on the right rear of the trailer and hub/drum came off.

I decided to remove the rear axle completely and tow in to Vizcaino and look for a solution. Guerrero Negro is a much bigger town but Vizcaino was only 10 or 12 miles south.

If the trailer was "a little" over weighted before, it was way over weighted on just one axle, which was riding on the frame. I bumped the tire pressures up another 50% over max to gain a little ride height and load capacity and headed on South at 25 Mph with the flashers on.

With a lane just inches wider than the trailer, getting passed by all the Big Rig was crazy to say the least.

In Vizcaino I found JR's shop, who has been supporting Off-Road racers for years - there is even a fiberglass door panel off of one of the trucks I used to race hanging in the shop. Jr. builds trailers as part of his business and has all the parts and is on it now.

Gotta love Baja!!!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote