Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #11

Timing of this thread is amazing - I have the exact opposite problem on my 1995 SMB. And hoping someone has some ideas.
Starcool is NOT cooling on shore power (fan runs but not cold air). It does run well when engine is running.
Things already checked....
- There is no 12v going to the solenoid to close it when the engine is not running. The solenoid itself was tested separately and is working (opens and closes)
- Emptied and recharged freon and have enough (4lbs per starcool label)
I'll take a look at the manuals but in the mean time though someone might what controls the 12v power to the solinoid?
thanks!

dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #12

Starcool was acquired by Danhard circa 2016 and they continued to support the product for ambulance use.
I believe this is the web site: Danhard Inc. Automotive Air Conditioners
vlagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #13

Wow -- what timing ! There's something to do with a vacuum hose/line that opens damper doors for cooling of the chassis - may not be the problem ? Not clear on whether your solenoid is working properly or not ?? Be sure you have the correct amount of freon in the total system - mine takes 4 1/2 pounds - 2002 Ford E350 V10 gas -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyt7 View Post
Timing of this thread is amazing - I have the exact opposite problem on my 1995 SMB. And hoping someone has some ideas.
Starcool is NOT cooling on shore power (fan runs but not cold air). It does run well when engine is running.
Things already checked....
- There is no 12v going to the solenoid to close it when the engine is not running. The solenoid itself was tested separately and is working (opens and closes)
- Emptied and recharged freon and have enough (4lbs per starcool label)
I'll take a look at the manuals but in the mean time though someone might what controls the 12v power to the solinoid?
thanks!
One possibility is that there is not sufficient voltage at the battery to start the compressor. As the battery ages, and even with a big alternator, the amperage draw to start the Starcool which can exceed 30 amps, is not available from the House battery. Try running your Starcool on a 15 amp supply; I suspect you will get the same result as running it from engine alternator supply as the 12v has to go through the same battery.
vlagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:39 PM   #15

@dorothyt7, to be clear the Starcool Manuals in referenced in thread are for Model Series III that went into production sept 1996. I don't know the differences, but your unit may not be the same as in these manuals. I would suspect the controls be be very similar, but? I would first check to see that the thermostat is working. In the series III the fans will come on but the powering compressor relay and solenoid ,and such would be turned on by thermostat.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:11 AM   #16

Thanks all!
Greg - I did see that they were newer model - but I gave it all to my mechanic who's willing to troubleshoot thinking that they were likely similar. And the thermostat suggestion is very helpful, I had a spidey sense that may it was acting up because the furnace wasn't consistently turning on this spring.
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote