Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #11

My last visit will probably be my last. A rock climber that thought they owned the place decided to be a REAL *******. This is the reason I like Lockers and High Clearance. - Helps me keep a safe distance to outdoor jerks.

PaulMurphyHomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #12

Garage
I participated in the meeting that the BLM hosted to hear from the public and consider recommendations. They were nice enough folks. I've been visiting the A Hills for decades and provided them with valuable input from a perspective of my own needs, of course. The area is not large by any means, and with the enormous popularity of vans, campers, RV's and such, the area had been suffering from extreme use. I belong to and support Friends of the Inyo, a local group that has maintained trails and restored vegetation in the Hills for years. The nature of the management plan is not that bad and will still allow me to do what I need to do there, though I may need to get a permit or sign up in advance somehow. If it is not protected and managed, it will disintegrate and no one will enjoy it anymore. I'm willing to adhere to a few rules in order to save the place. And those new restrooms will be welcome. I'm sure I've dug too many holes in the same place!
Attached Thumbnails
bamasmb1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #13

I blame Quentin. It was Django Unchained that made everybody want to roll their wagon into the hills.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I think what I'd prefer to see are sites that don't resemble the sardine can approach. Every spot I've seen redesigned of late are camps that are not designed to be secluded. Many single dispersed sites in my area have been placed practically right off the side of the trail. If not, they seem to put several sites bunched together. I've never been to the Alabama Hills and the new map isn't much help on what they are planning. I can't see how up close they'll require me be to to other campers.

For those who have frequented the area, does it look like you'll still be able to find some seclusion from other camper or vehicles driving in and out once this plan is put in place?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
And those new restrooms will be welcome. I'm sure I've dug too many holes in the same place!
I do agree with that!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I do agree with that!

Same but why limit when they can just do more of them just saying its removing our access. Yes i use wag bags but stop closing shit

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #17

Garage
Tapatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:39 AM   #18

I used to take my van to the Alabama Hills quite a bit in the late 80’s and early 90’s, sometimes using it as a destination, other times as an overnight stop on the way elsewhere in the eastern Sierras. Always hardly anyone there, a few off-roaders, maybe a couple of campers not far from the paved road leading to Whitney Portal. It was a wonderful site with fabulous terrain, million dollar views and peace. Not having been there in the intervening time, a couple of years ago, enroute further north, tired, my wife and I pulled in to spend the night, me with confident eager anticipation to show her my private secret area. Silly me! Every single little side track was occupied. Drove around for quite some time in the dark before finding parking at a trailhead, which became busy with tourists the next morning. Not. Going. Back.

It’s really too bad. Same story with Hot Creek near Mammoth. Used to be able to sit in the creek and experience the alternating hot and cold water currents before the access got all fenced off. Also the Granite Mountains in the Mojave, where some kind of Burning Man mass gathering takes place in a beautiful spot where the silence of the desert used to be guaranteed.

I suppose it is all inevitable, but still, a shame.

As far as toilets, their utility depends entirely on the class of people using them. I’ve entered some that I wish I had never seen.

It is a big country, though, with lots of space. It’s easy enough to get to the more remote spots away from crowds if you have the means and the drive to get there.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I think what I'd prefer to see are sites that don't resemble the sardine can approach. Every spot I've seen redesigned of late are camps that are not designed to be secluded. Many single dispersed sites in my area have been placed practically right off the side of the trail. If not, they seem to put several sites bunched together. I've never been to the Alabama Hills and the new map isn't much help on what they are planning. I can't see how up close they'll require me be to to other campers.
Dave, steer clear of Moab then. You can still get away from the crowds but it's getting harder, mostly because the crowds there are all off-road capable.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #20

Thanks for sharing. I see it as a good thing for the area.