Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #41
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
IF crime in "sanctuary cities" can be proven to have increased it could be other criminal elements are preying on those who have something to hide or otherwise law enforcement.

So far every study I've seen seems to show that crime in sanctuary cities isn't higher than in other cities. You also have to consider reporting bias -- in a non-sanctuary city crimes committed against immigrants will probably not be reported to the police. (This fear isn't limited to illegal immigrants; in recent years people who were legal permanent residents, or even naturalized citizens, have been deported. This leads to underclasses that feel they can't go to the cops for help.)

Quote:
Vehicle theft can and does occur anywhere there's a "target rich" environment which these days is any place a desirable vehicle is left standing or parked for an hour or so.
Sure, it's like Willie Sutton's apocryphal statement about why he robbed banks: "That's where the money is."

I think in many cases the vans are an unfortunate combination of an older design (which means they tend to be easier to steal) coupled with a high value. For a while it was Hondas that were in that category -- 1990s Hondas are trivially easy to get into. I bought a used Del Sol several years back, and out of three that I looked at, two had been stolen and then recovered. It's tapered off now mostly because those cars have lost much of their value.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #42

Another van stolen

Our van was stolen from a storage facility a few weeks ago in Las Vegas where we had it stored, we live in alaska. We didn’t even know it was gone until we got a bill from the impound yard. LVPD pulled it over for a traffic violation, arrested the driver on an old warrant and drug possession but since it hadn’t been reported stolen didn’t contact me. I guess the fact that it had a screwdriver in the ignition, was trashed and had no registration didn’t set off any alarm bells. The perp has already been kicked.
Good news is the van is still somewhat intact and runs, the bad is everything is gone and they trashed the interior. It was a home build, I’m still a little crushed. I can see how the Thule, spare, tools and everything else could disappear but the Fiamma might stand out some. Anyone in the Vegas area seen one for sale recently?
There has been some talk in this thread about using social media but I’m a bit of a Neanderthal, don’t even use Facebook. Any thoughts on where I might post this and how to go about it?
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #43
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatmorefish View Post
There has been some talk in this thread about using social media but I’m a bit of a Neanderthal, don’t even use Facebook. Any thoughts on where I might post this and how to go about it?
What are you posting about---finding your missing gear?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #44

One more security method to slow down the tow truck thieves is to back into parking spots as often as possible, since the back wheels won't roll, it makes it harder to pull up onto a flat bed, (but not impossible).
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #45

Update

So the mechanic and insurance called and said they're working on it now.

Should be ready by next friday.

They're putting in a new ignition, fuel tank, fuel pump, and a few other minor things. Then doing a full detail.

Can't wait to get it back and start re-building.
jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro View Post
...Can't wait to get it back and start re-building.

Sounds great. I hope one of the first items on your list an immobilizer and/or alarm.

Herb
Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Sounds great. I hope one of the first items on your list an immobilizer and/or alarm.

Herb
Thanks I will.
I'm new to the whole immobilizer thing. Any suggestions?
jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #48

Use any kind of anti theft and tracking systems but top end auto theft is a big business and if they want your van they will take it. The head honchos in this system have created a web of people throughout the western US who can take an order (for whatever vehicle the customer wants) and notify the "spotters" of the make, model and year the customer wants. The syndicate has built up an army of "spotters" who are often employees at small motels, parking lot attendants, security guys who drive through mall parking lots, valets, etc. Mexican border police simply wave the vehicles that are being driven to Mexico through the border crossing. The vehicles will never be seen again.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #49

Really very, very glad that they found your van! I guess my views may be a bit “ slanted”, but having been robbed twice, mugged once, and taken from my own house, blindfolded and at knifepoint....all of which happened in LA, I see things a bit differently than some of you. So now I live well out in the “ wilds”, and the worst that’s happened is a large bear
digging up my back yard. I’ll take my animals over the
human kind any day!
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #50

Glad to hear you changed your life for the better conniekat. You only get one chance at life, driving away from experiences with human garbage is the wise choice. Jbruo may find a similar solution after this experience.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote