Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #141

renegadeoverlad ... well you see my wife and I loved camping when we first got married (we both grew up camping with our families) but when we had our son and found he was handicapped we began accepting that certain activities, including camping, were going to be less than likely to happen given the shear amount of equipment and specialty care needed that typical camping doesnt really support.

In my attempts to satiate the day dream of camping again I started living vicariously through many youtube creators that camp and adventure and through that I found this wonderful new world of living in vehicles and particularly the adventurous side known as overlanding.

To this day most people in our lives don't understand the financial side of what we do. Building a 1956 Willy's Wagon to do local adventures (dana 44 front and rear, 35" tires, 5.3L LS out of a suburban etc) and now having spent 35,000 + on a 4x4 van with enough infrastructure to allow us, as a family, to pursue adventure. This made us a bit of a renegade to them.

So was born our handle "RenegadeOverland" we intend to share our adventures and the ongoing build out of our vehicles on a website but well ... I have not taken the time to build it yet :-) so for now the forum here will do.

renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #142

Well, since TwoXentrix necro'd the thread I'll post...

Probably one of the younger people here on the forum at the ripe old age of 20. Growing up some of the more meaningful and memorable times I had were all off the beaten path, whether it was skiing, hiking, etc.

Rode a dirtbike to Bishop O'Dowd (bet most of the SFBay locals know where that is...), I've long been meaning to find a place to go ride the trails with it, but haven't yet. Senior year I ended up getting smoked by a car that decided he didn't want to stop for one of the stop signs. It was one of those peculiar times where I couldn't tell if I was dumb, lucky, or unlucky- The night before I had told my mom I'd take the Econoline to school, decided to take the dirtbike since she'd already gone to work, and lucky it was the dirtbike and not the K1200R. Pretty sure with the way the guy hit me it would have broke my leg if I had been riding anything else. Luckily enough- only a sprained ACL, a few fractured toes, and a lesson not to lie to ones mother.

While my on-road adventures have been fun (Crashed a Porsche-only club trip in a Dinan M5, smoked a bunch of Boxster's at 130+ (They said we couldn't bring the M5 to redding this year! )), I can't say I'd trade that for sinking an econoline down to the axles in mud, doing donuts in the icy parking lots over winter, or driving the back country roads up here in Montana getting to see what a ton of people never get to.

Offroading has always been a ton of fun to me, especially with friends... hence the handle.
Erik

Oh, and P.S... If any of y'all have a good spot to ride dirtbikes that isn't a long ways from Oakland, let me know
Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #143

Don't you just do that on the freeway there and put your wheelie escapades on Youtube?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #144

Okay, I’ll play. Powderbum...I chase storms in my van to satisfy my craving to ski powder. I’m constantly monitoring weather forecasts and planning trips to wherever the most white gold will fall.

I suppose you could say my life is about skiing deep snow...therefore my life is going downhill.
powderbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Don't you just do that on the freeway there and put your wheelie escapades on Youtube?
Pretty sure for that I need a "Japanese sports bike" (Trying to be politically correct here, not sure how big of a deal this is on smb forum).

This happened right outside of my high school while I was there, didn't realize it had been recorded. these things are a common occurence and I honestly want no part in them. . Fun fact: That liquor store at 0:40 got shot up as school let out. Guy tried hiding in the oakland zoo, which is directly on the other side of the freeway.

I prefer the back roads when they're dry and clean. Very little to no police presence (Especially after they closed the gun range that the police trained at on this road...), often times the only person "being endangered" is ones self, and so long as you ride with the 70-80% rule in mind, you're OK.

FWIW: Unlike many Japanese bikes, the K1200R has a very long wheelbase (Comfortable for taller people), and even after a Power Commander V and romping on it in 2-3 gear, I haven't gotten the front wheel up, not that I was really trying.
I never understood why people made the blanket statement of, "You can't start on a liter+ bike!"... If you understand what it is you're riding and give it due respect... It actually lets you be quite lazy with the gear shifts and while the K1200R is a heavy SOB at ~700lbs with me on it, it's easier to ride than the DR-350 or the Duc 1100S...

Anyways, enough off-topic from me... Don't want to get any flak for it.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #146

Walter Mitty - My senior year of high school (1974) I took the English Elective, American Humorists. One of our required readings was the Thurber short story, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I instantly identified with Mitty as I spent many hours of my youth day dreaming and still do.

I really like the the Ben Stiller adaptation and enjoy the sound track while I'm driving (and day dreaming), but the Danny Kaye version is more true to the Thurber story, Nash and all.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #147

I live in North East Iowa, but I'm still nomadic and traveling a lot. NEIA is my base though
NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #148
KDB

Initials...i know, i know.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #149

Garage
Great Thread started back in 2013 by member rionapo - bumping today to give it exposure - Much fun!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #150

I was born in Des Moines and raised in Sioux City, currently reside in Northern CA. Any Midwesterners coming this way? Let me know and I will do all I can for you!