Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2023, 06:01 PM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
My friend sent me a new travel warning today for Baja. It’s probably typical for Mexico but if you didn’t know better it was a dire sounded warning. Ray is this same old same old?
What exactly? Care to share the link? There’s often warnings posted, esp in/around border towns.
On a less dire note, my wife saw a post recently on FB about aluminum water bottles being confiscated, for the fact that people hide crap in them. I’m probably still bringing one, simply for the fact that it’s much easier to drink out of that a wide mouth Nalgene while driving, plus it’s insulated, and I won’t have anything inside mine except for water. I think there’s some X-ray machines at certain crossings that might be picking them up tucked away inside cars or rigs?
Be safe!

REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:04 PM   #22

this?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:04 PM   #23

For us... as it has been for 29 trips in the last 26 years... we always cross first thing in the morning and plan on being 100+ miles south of the border by end of day. Our rule is to not drive at night unless absolutely necessary - more for stock on the road than anything. Bad stuff can happen anywhere - that said we've never had a problem in Baja.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:02 AM   #24

I tried the link above under this "Baja" post and none appeared to be working ?? Something missing for the link ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #25

Garage
Allow me:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old 11-19-2023, 07:22 AM   #26

Thanks for your efforts Twoxentrix -- Regarding "Baja" - when clicking on headings under "Reconsider" and "Excersize related to Baja travel - the links for me above are still not "active." I'm on a "Mac" and using Google -- don't know what's going on but remember I'm partially brain dead re tech !

Would love to be headed that way - but too many "life" issues at home right now.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:01 AM   #27

Garage
Old 11-19-2023, 08:09 AM   #28
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, you have to manually scroll down to the heading, seems the links aren’t active.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #29

Based on my layman’s read of the State Dept’s advisory for the Mexicali Valley in Baja, the specific area of concern seems to be the area EAST of Mex 5 with a southern border at La Ventana (roughly 70 miles south of the border, along Highway 5.)

The advisory allows U.S. government employees to travel on Highway 5 “during daylight hours.”

As bigriver stated, avoid driving at night wherever possible. I fill up my fuel tank just before crossing the border and my first stop is typically at least 2 hours beyond.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #30

We used to check these advisories before heading south & found that it seems to be somewhat of a "standard warning" that has been in place for some time. Checking with one of the Baja travel clubs or insurance brokers like Baja Bound, Discover Baja or Vagabundos Del Mar before a trip would be a better way to get current information.

Also, there are usually Facebook pages for most areas that Americans tend to go. Any current issues or warnings will be posted there. As an example, we frequently check the San Felipe South Campos Facebook Page, as that covers the area where we spend most of our time.