Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Baja Trip -- May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kayaker
How long was the drive down to Baja from Seattle roughly? I'd like to surf kayak and camp down the Baja Peninsula. Looks like you found some nice surf beaches!
I can't encourage you strongly enough to take a Baja trip - it is an amazing place and one of the last great frontiers to explore. You will love it!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
It appears that you had the place almost entirely to yourself wherever you went.
Well, it's my passion and I try hard to achieve that solitude. I spent plenty of time before my trip studying maps and the internet -- researching the most interesting outback locations to investigate.

Sure, there are plenty of places Baja you can go to that are loaded with tourists. Tijuana, Ensenada, and much of the northwest coast. Cabo San Lucas. Loreto. San Felipe. These places are an easy flight or drive from the US, and are full of Americans. You can get away from English speakers but still be surrounded by people in La Paz (very nice) or the border towns up north (not as nice).

But, get away from those towns, and drive more than an hour off pavement -- and you usually have the whole place to yourself.

Fuel -- Yes, there are a decent number of gas stations in Baja, but it pays to be prudent not let your tank get too low. I haven't had a problem with running out of fuel, especially with my larger 47-gallon TransferFlow tank. Gas stations are sometimes inexplicably closed, but there's often someone in town unofficially selling gas from containers. (I haven't had to buy from these guys yet.)

Speaking Spanish -- on this trip, I spoke to only two people other than what was required at gas stations, military inspection points, and border crossings: A friendly local fisherman at Estero Delgadito, and the guy guarding the road to the San Cosme hot springs. Well, I did also order tacos & beer a few times

I'd say the biggest obstacle to enjoying a trip like this is making sure you're really up for driving all day on van-shaking washboard or rocky roads. It is tiring, especially with the Sportsmobile's stiff suspension & big solid axles. Loud & dusty. You've really got to love it to make it worthwhile.

-- Geoff
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

Geofff, great trip report!

We have visited those Missions, and your photos brought back memories from that trip. Our favorite was the Mission of San Javier, and the canyons leading to San Evaristo. We keep saying we need to get back to that area.
Stop and say hi next time you drive through San Diego.

Baja is a great place. You just need to get past the border. For us Baja doesn't start until we are past El Rosario.
Quick question, where is the area you camped out around El Rosario? Punts Baja or the area north, past the military checkpoint?

Thanks for sharing!!!

BTW... We are heading down in about a month, I should post something up.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
favorite was the Mission of San Javier, and the canyons leading to San Evaristo. We keep saying we need to get back to that area.
It's on my list for the next Baja trip -- with a loop down along the coast from there to La Paz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
Quick question, where is the area you camped out around El Rosario? Punts Baja or the area north, past the military checkpoint?
No, I didn't take the time to go out to Punta Baja. It was the end of my trip, and I was heading north -- and I craved one last swim before heading for the border. I simply took the first dirt track west off the paved Highway 1 when the paved road met the beach north of El Rosario. My Baja Almanac calls the area "En Consuelo", just north of "El Campito". It's a decent place, but still has evidence of many visitors -- those overflowing trash cans I describe in my web page.

My website has GPS coordinates for this and most of the places I describe.

Have fun on your Baja trip! Yes, please do share your stories.

-- Geoff