Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2023, 06:11 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Yes, thanks, I knew about that. We have no idea when we'll be there yet so we're holding off on trying to get a reservation. If we can't get one we'll enter late or early and get around it.
I was thinking the same. Nothing was mentioned about before or after those times.

marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #12

Garage
Hey Eric,

Definitely advise going early or late to Going to the Sun Rd and Logan Pass. By 7:30am Logan Pass was swamped. Couple decent hikes there. Might consider going early to Logan Pass, hiking the trails, and then spend the night there. There were multiple vans in the lot when I got there and others who spent the night. I entered the east gate at 5:45am and passed through the unmanned checkpoint about 5:50.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Hey Eric,

Definitely advise going early or late to Going to the Sun Rd and Logan Pass. By 7:30am Logan Pass was swamped. Couple decent hikes there. Might consider going early to Logan Pass, hiking the trails, and then spend the night there. There were multiple vans in the lot when I got there and others who spent the night. I entered the east gate at 5:45am and passed through the unmanned checkpoint about 5:50.
Great info, thanks!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:03 PM   #14

We just came back from a trip that started out with Beartooth pass and Red Lodge. We dispersed camped here, 45.02798, -109.43805, off of Rock Springs Road. There were a ton of dispersed sites there, as well as established campgrounds. However, after we passed through, they started work on a river crossing that might have been a deterrent to a lot of folks, so it might not be as secluded. Looked like great fishing as well, but I hadn't picked up a Montana license yet…. The National Forest office in Red Lodge was quite helpful.

Similar to your thinking, we avoided Yellowstone as best as we could. We did stay in the national forest to the west of Yellowstone at Hebgen Lake, 44.78400, -111.27532. It was a small established campground, and we had an absolutely stunning site right at the lake. But the bugs! We hardly even went out of the van.

Wish I had more to share, but hope this helps. Have a great trip if you haven't left already!
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:04 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
We just came back from a trip that started out with Beartooth pass and Red Lodge. We dispersed camped here, 45.02798, -109.43805, off of Rock Springs Road. There were a ton of dispersed sites there, as well as established campgrounds. However, after we passed through, they started work on a river crossing that might have been a deterrent to a lot of folks, so it might not be as secluded. Looked like great fishing as well, but I hadn't picked up a Montana license yet…. The National Forest office in Red Lodge was quite helpful!
Good info, this is the same area I mentioned as well.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Great info, thanks!
Welcome.

One other thing and may be obvious. If you exit a gate/vehicle checkpoint on Going to the Sun Rd between 6 and 3, they won't let you back in without a reservation or permit.

I went out the Camas Creek gate and they wouldn't let me back in without a reservation at about 1pm.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
We just came back from a trip that started out with Beartooth pass and Red Lodge. We dispersed camped here, 45.02798, -109.43805, off of Rock Springs Road. There were a ton of dispersed sites there, as well as established campgrounds. However, after we passed through, they started work on a river crossing that might have been a deterrent to a lot of folks, so it might not be as secluded. Looked like great fishing as well, but I hadn't picked up a Montana license yet…. The National Forest office in Red Lodge was quite helpful.

Similar to your thinking, we avoided Yellowstone as best as we could. We did stay in the national forest to the west of Yellowstone at Hebgen Lake, 44.78400, -111.27532. It was a small established campground, and we had an absolutely stunning site right at the lake. But the bugs! We hardly even went out of the van.

Wish I had more to share, but hope this helps. Have a great trip if you haven't left already!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Welcome.

One other thing and may be obvious. If you exit a gate/vehicle checkpoint on Going to the Sun Rd between 6 and 3, they won't let you back in without a reservation or permit.

I went out the Camas Creek gate and they wouldn't let me back in without a reservation at about 1pm.
Weird, but good to know.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:31 AM   #18

Since you mentioned the route, take along The Oregon Trail, by Rinker Buck. You can do an audio version. It will be enlightening, help with exploration details, and a splendid read.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #19

Thanks, already in Nebraska. I'll check out the audio version