Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2023, 05:56 AM   #1

Garage
Meandering in the Northwest to Tuk and AK

This will be a meandering trip with time in the NW US, travel to Tuk, and time in AK if all goes to plan. Sometimes plans don't come to fruition. And as with my meandering style, things are fluid and can change daily.

I am currently meandering west towards Glacier NP. There will be periodic updates as I have time and connectivity.

Currently in Sheboygan WI (visiting a friend), but will head back to Chicago to visit a friend Wed (he returns to Chicago from Europe today) and resume the NW journey Thurs. See, I have already decided to wait for a day and go in the opposite direction. Not looking forward to Chicago traffic a second time, but it will be great to see an old friend.

Beautiful weather in WI, finally got out of the heat and humidity of the East.

Morning sunrise over Lake Michigan:
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230718_104815868.jpg  

marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:47 AM   #2

I concur on that Chicago traffic, just went through that on the other day. Enjoy your trip.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:25 AM   #3

I love the upper Midwest after you get past Chicago.

Following along with interest Chris. We're headed as far as Glacier via Denver in a month or so.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:38 AM   #4

Garage
Yep to all, thanks guys. Yesterday driving through the outskirts of Chicago on I-355 just west was hectic and heavy, but no stoppages and not terrible either. Of course I live next to DC and that is often terrible. I timed it to arrive about 10am, but accidents on 94 and 294 drove me to 355. Get it, drove me.

My plan is to head to Duluth and pick up Hwy 2 all the way to Glacier.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #5

Your Dad jokes would probably be as much of a hit in my house as mine are, however I personally enjoyed it very much.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks and yeah, I am sure with some eye roll...
Old 07-18-2023, 11:45 PM   #7
Spr

Can’t wait to hear the updates. If your meandering and looking for a scenic detour head north out of Chicago on the Michigan side. As you work your way N take M-22 with stops in the beach towns along the way. One you hit Mackinac island you wan head east on 2. It’s great this time of year. Here’s a link for for the lake michicagn circle tour https://lakemichigancircletour.com/
Old 07-19-2023, 07:19 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post
Can’t wait to hear the updates. If your meandering and looking for a scenic detour head north out of Chicago on the Michigan side. As you work your way N take M-22 with stops in the beach towns along the way. One you hit Mackinac island you wan head east on 2. It’s great this time of year. Here’s a link for for the lake michicagn circle tour https://lakemichigancircletour.com/
Thanks for the tip. I spent some time on the Michigan Circle Tour yesterday and already done much of it, just not the eastern side. I am heading NW from North Chicago.

I have not been on M-22, it sounds great. I have been through lower MI (didn't dawdle though) and to the UP, including 2, multiple times. I have been fortunate to have spent some time exploring the UP.

One trip from KY to NJ, I went the long way through MI and around Huron and Erie through Niagara Falls.

I'll have to save M-22 for another trip. Hate to say, no time to detour that far right now.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:57 PM   #9

Garage
Made it back to Chicago and out before 0630 the next morning to beat traffic.

Headed NW on Thurs and spent the night in a rest area in Hwy 53 north of Eau Claire WI.

On Fri, continued north to Lake Superior and visited Wisconsin Point. Veeta is my travel companion.

In Superior WI, I picked up Hwy 2 west into MN. We visited Headwaters of the Mississippi River State Forest near Bemidji. Doesn't look like much here...

I was supposed to spend the night at a Harvest Host farm location, but the heat, humidity and parking in the sun with no generator allowed due to other RVs being present combined with voracious mosquitos made me bail out and I went to Bagley city park for the night.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230721_151442817.jpg   PXL_20230721_151512868.jpg   PXL_20230721_204553789.jpg  
Old 07-21-2023, 06:48 PM   #10

Garage
Like you Chris, we really enjoy just heading a direction and letting 'chance' dictate the agenda. Glad to see your co-pilot looks just as fit & healthy as 4yrs ago.