Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2023, 01:12 PM   #1

Trip planning advice Casper to Beartooth Pass

We plan to explore some new territory this summer leaving from TN and working our way to Glacier. We've been to Glacier several times and this time plan to go in on the east side and spend more time hiking and exploring around the Many Glacier area. However, before we get that far we're planning on going through some of the Oregon Trail route from Central Nebraska towards Casper and then eventually winding up in Red Lodge MT area, or the northeast end of the Beartooth Highway near there.

I'd appreciate some advice from any of you who know or have traveled this area (Windriver Reservation/Bighorn NF/Bridger Teton NF). We plan to come back from Glacier through West Yellowstone, then the Tetons and then south eventually through Denver but I know that area pretty well. On the way to Glacier I'm hoping to get off the beaten path between about Casper WY and Red Lodge MT, then Beartooth Pass in to the top of Yellowstone where we will probably just turn north and keep heading towards Glacier. We've been to Yellowstone several times as well and probably won't spend much time there.

What I need: Advice on roads less traveled, preferably off pavement, off-grid camping and great hikes. Other interests include small town breweries/pubs, ghost towns, small museums and places where we'll see no more than a handful of people.

Traveling in a self sufficient 4wd RB and not afraid of rough trails, however no lockers yet.

TIA

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:02 PM   #2

Garage
This travel is north to south in this thread:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...t-21814-3.html

Posts 30-32 for Beartooth Hwy, north and south. I stayed just north of Beartooth and south of Red Lodge. See post 30. NF with many dispersed sites and campgrounds. FSR 2412 and 421.

I found a place to spend the night up high south of Beartooth, but the mosquitos were too bad. I moved on. Post 32.

Posts 52-62 for Big Horn Mountains and NF.

I have some backcountry tracks between MT and CO if you are interested. I wanted to drive the route this summer. PM an email and I'll send the GPS file. If you want to chat, PM as well.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:06 PM   #3

I’m in Jackson now and went to a cookout at a guys house who grew up in Rawlins. He said the Saratoga area is beautiful but that would be down on the south side of the state. It’s home to a microbrew competition usually held in august according to Wikipedia….for what that’s worth.

Sounds like a blast would’ve been good to meet up but we are off a couple weeks.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:19 AM   #4

Garage
Consider going east of Casper toward Lander to Sinks Canyon and the Middle Popo River via Highway 28 and FR 300. After Lander, head north to Thermopolis. Take SR 120 to Cody, then stay on 120 north to SR 296 to the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway => 212 over the Beartooth Highway into Red Lodge. We used iOverlander to find “off the beaten path” campsites. Don’t miss the “Million Dollar View” campsite off Chief Joseph’s Byway 296. The is a little town park in Bridger that is worth an overnight in hot weather (they have hook ups). Have fun, it’s a great area.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5325.jpeg   IMG_5318.jpeg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Trip planning advice Casper to Beartooth Pass

All I can contribute is if you find yourself passing through Rawlins, Anong’s Thai restaurant is pretty solid.
Safe travels, it’s friggin hot!
Definitely try to avoid all the smoke from the Canadian fires as you head north.
And here’s this area in WY just north of the Colorado border if you need an overnight, convenient location with open free dispersed camping, cool rock formations to hike and explore.

https://maps.apple.com/?address=I-80...q=Vedauwoo&t=m
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #6

Thanks all, keep it coming!

I added Chief Joseph Scenic Byway to my route when I found it yesterday. I'll plug in some of this other stuff.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #7

Garage
I just realized one must have a vehicle pass for 6am-3pm to drive Going to the Sun Rd May 26 to Sep 10 and a few other things. Looks like if one has a service reservation on Going to the Sun Rd no vehicle permit is required.

If you haven't Eric, you might check into this.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:50 AM   #8

Garage
Also, it appears that major construction on Going to the Sun Road is occurring this summer. Here is the NPS bulletin.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...%20years%20old.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I just realized one must have a vehicle pass for 6am-3pm to drive Going to the Sun Rd May 26 to Sep 10 and a few other things. Looks like if one has a service reservation on Going to the Sun Rd no vehicle permit is required.

If you haven't Eric, you might check into this.
Yes, thanks, I knew about that. We have no idea when we'll be there yet so we're holding off on trying to get a reservation. If we can't get one we'll enter late or early and get around it.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
Also, it appears that major construction on Going to the Sun Road is occurring this summer. Here is the NPS bulletin.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...%20years%20old.
That's also very good to know, but having been there a few times there is always major construction on that road during the summer.