Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Garage
Agile RIP kit "gave" me death wobble???

So I can't figure out what is going on and need help. I recently installed a full RIP kit from John at Agile Offroad including a full custom Rear leafpack (ditching the lift blocks) to the weight of my Van. While I was at it I had the shop also install some loose ball joints on my drivers side with Moog parts. So I am in all this with labor, shipping, etc nearly $4k. I have been super excited to finally get this upgrade as my van is 22 years old, my rear springs were de-arched and it was a rough ride but I never had speed wobble or felt unstable.

Now I have all new suspension and it rides great around town but anything over 55 and it gets pretty unstable, feels tippy, and occasionally if I get passed by a semi, let off the gas, hit uneven pavement or on some turns it starts to get a rocking speed wobble. Its terrifying and very stressful to drive long distances. I have talked to John and think I have done all the right things but am still having these issues and before I spend more money need advice.....

So far I have done all these things to try and fix the issue.

1- Replaced both track bar bushings with new ford OEM
2- Speed force balanced my wheels
3- Drag link is tight and tie-rod is brand new so nothing is loose there
4- All 4 control arms are new from Quigley as well (cracked one of my old C channel ones last summer)
5- Tires are in good condition, they are 285 KO2's with 90% tread rear and probably 75% front so no issues there
6- Front ball joints and Ujoints are tight.

I am sorta out of ideas, I do have loose steering but always have and it hasn't been an issue really. Maybe a new steering box would help but I wouldn't think it would cause these issues. I had them throw it on the alignment rack again thinking something had to be off but it was fine. I did loose some Caster from the RIP since it lifts the Van 2" and that cant be adjusted.

I talked to MSD over at CCV and we talked about cutting the end of the quigley arm off and welding a Jimmy Joint in with the threaded sleeve so that I can push my axle forward a little bit and adjust my Caster. They also make arms with the same joint for $1500 but it would be cheaper to keep the new arms I have and modify them. I thought it was a brilliant idea and suprised it hasn't been brought up more, I have only seen people use new arms from CCV and Agile prototyped some for awhile but don't sell them anymore.

Of course this would be helpful to adjust my Camber to +5 or 6 and move my axle about 1 to 1 1/2" forward since I would like to eventually put 35' tires on. But we go back to the issue of will more Camber really even fix my issue and why is it doing this now with better suspension and even though this suspension should be much more stiff than the overwheighted stock suspension I had, why does it feel tippy and unstable at speed.

I am at loss and don't want to keep spending money with no results but am out of ideas, any help???

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote