Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #71

So do you think it was a caster issue all along? Or at least a major culprit of the way your van drove?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #72

that tie rod bolt needs a cotter pin, Stat
Adventurezoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #73

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
So do you think it was a caster issue all along? Or at least a major culprit of the way your van drove?
Hard to tell if it was just that since I changed so much at once. I can't believe how well it handles now and that's with no stabilizer, it's amazing. My Caster probably played a big role and was not even the same side to side with the stock Quigley arms, but I think everything else helped alot too. For instance I noticed when after putting brand new Ford OEM bushings in the track bar the rubber design would still have a decent amount of play or flex as I would turn the wheel standing still and recording it. This track bar location is so much better, it's wider and higher (and more forward of course from pushing the axle). I imagine the high steer is helping alot too with any bump steer issues and with all heims everything is just so tight and solid feeling even with a 23 yr old steering box. It was a dramatic change but only cost about the price of new aftermarket torque arms to do everything I did. I don't regret it even a little but don't know what to call my conversion anymore, not much of it is a Quigley anymore LoL.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I don't regret it even a little but don't know what to call my conversion anymore, not much of it is a Quigley anymore LoL.
Nemesis 4x4
Inspired by Quigley

You build it, you fly it, you name it. That's the rule in my world.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #75

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Nemesis 4x4
Inspired by Quigley

You build it, you fly it, you name it. That's the rule in my world.

-Eric
Ah perfect, want to design and 3D print me some logos?? Haha
Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #76

Congratulations on resolving this!!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #77
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
Hard to tell if it was just that since I changed so much at once. I can't believe how well it handles now and that's with no stabilizer, it's amazing. My Caster probably played a big role and was not even the same side to side with the stock Quigley arms, but I think everything else helped alot too. For instance I noticed when after putting brand new Ford OEM bushings in the track bar the rubber design would still have a decent amount of play or flex as I would turn the wheel standing still and recording it. This track bar location is so much better, it's wider and higher (and more forward of course from pushing the axle). I imagine the high steer is helping alot too with any bump steer issues and with all heims everything is just so tight and solid feeling even with a 23 yr old steering box. It was a dramatic change but only cost about the price of new aftermarket torque arms to do everything I did. I don't regret it even a little but don't know what to call my conversion anymore, not much of it is a Quigley anymore LoL.
This turned out awesome I’d just call it a 6” modified Quigley or an Agility 4x4 you’vegot My wheels turning
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #78

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
This turned out awesome I’d just call it a 6” modified Quigley or an Agility 4x4 you’vegot My wheels turning
Well this all started from you getting my wheels turning and helping me figure out the Johnny Joints and how to use those with stock arms instead of having to buy whole new aftermarket ones. So I'm happy to get the ideas rolling for you on the rest, haha. Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #79

You did go 'all in' didn't you? Totally off the reservation!

That looks great, well thought out, simple and to the point. I love the Johnny Joints and heim ends. The straight tie rod gives more ground clearance, high steer takes away that annoying bump steer, hopefully you never experience DW again, either.

Mine never death wobbled, but I had an F350 that did. Not fun, that'll wake yer assup on a long tiring drive . When I did a major refurbishment and custom changes to my leaf sprung van's front end a couple years ago, I took on the 'in for a nickle, in for a dollar' approach as well, and ditched the Ford -u- shaped tie rod, making my own out of 1-1/4" DOM, using weld in threaded tube ends.

see the 'dip' in the tie rod, a few inches from the end? That's the opposite of what you want in a rigid system. I have a long story about that exact thing causing a failure on a 400mph streamliner I crewed on 15yrs ago

Straightening this out just made the tie rod, and steering sytsem less 'springy'.

With all of the looking into I've done on this front end death wobble, I was also looking at reduce system compliance, that is, stiffening anything that from and engineering/mechanical perspective, looked like a spring.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. In a push-pull link, it's also the most rigid.

You're really going to have to keep a close eye on those Johnny Joints and heim ends, once they start to wear out, the wear clearance pounds them out, and they go from a little shake, to OMG loose, in a hurry.

Nice job, this is great!
Old 06-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #80

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
You did go 'all in' didn't you? Totally off the reservation!

That looks great, well thought out, simple and to the point. I love the Johnny Joints and heim ends. The straight tie rod gives more ground clearance, high steer takes away that annoying bump steer, hopefully you never experience DW again, either.

Mine never death wobbled, but I had an F350 that did. Not fun, that'll wake yer assup on a long tiring drive . When I did a major refurbishment and custom changes to my leaf sprung van's front end a couple years ago, I took on the 'in for a nickle, in for a dollar' approach as well, and ditched the Ford -u- shaped tie rod, making my own out of 1-1/4" DOM, using weld in threaded tube ends.

see the 'dip' in the tie rod, a few inches from the end? That's the opposite of what you want in a rigid system. I have a long story about that exact thing causing a failure on a 400mph streamliner I crewed on 15yrs ago

Straightening this out just made the tie rod, and steering sytsem less 'springy'.

With all of the looking into I've done on this front end death wobble, I was also looking at reduce system compliance, that is, stiffening anything that from and engineering/mechanical perspective, looked like a spring.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. In a push-pull link, it's also the most rigid.

You're really going to have to keep a close eye on those Johnny Joints and heim ends, once they start to wear out, the wear clearance pounds them out, and they go from a little shake, to OMG loose, in a hurry.

Nice job, this is great!

Awesome, thanks for sharing and that story sounds very interesting. I do love the simplicity and how rigid this system is and the way they tapped the rods it didn't really require any welding for the components themselves. Luckily even if I replace the heims every couple years they only cost like $16 for some good Teflon lined ones like I have. So it's not that bad to refresh them as preventive maintenance every so often without being very expensive.