Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2024, 01:52 PM   #1

Do I need 4wd?

Here is the scenario.

93 E250 4.9L Sportsmobile RB11. Currently 2wd open diff on 245/75R16s

Intended function. Camping (duh) along forest service roads / BLM land, hard packed beaches etc. No mudding, no rock crawling.

I know I *CAN* get a 4wd conversion done, but should I?

Options.

#1. AJs 4x4 vans 4wd conversion. This poses the issue of 35x12.50 tires on 17x9 rims and spacers with a van that has a sliding side door and potentially clearance issues with urban parking garages. To keep wheel width manageable I would have to swap out to a Sterling 10.5" rear end.

#2. Weldtec Designs Baja Grocery Getter 5" lift, set to allow for 35s, but most likely go with 285/75R16s (32x11.50) to keep the height / ingress / egress / parking garage issues at least somewhat rational.

Either way I would want to go with a selectable locker. I know it is pushing the limits of what this thing can do, but I have an Engo E9000 winch that has been synthetic line swapped on a cradle and am planning on a front reciever hitch and anderson connectors for power front or rear.

My concerns are this...

#1. 4wd conversion adds consierable weight, complexity, maintenance and reduces fuel economy such that it is. Plus at a minimum I would be going with the added expense of a rear axle swap or at the very least, extenders for the sliding door and from what I have seen those are rarely long enough...

#2. Some of the places I want to camp, such as Padre Island National Seashore require 4wd.

I know a properly outfitted 2wd with traction adding diff and smart driving can go places a 4wd with open diffs can only dream about.

This is a tough call to make.

I know most folks would be overjoyed with 35s under a 4wd, I am honestly wondering if a 4wd conversion can be done to accomodate 33s... That added 1" clearance to the pumpkin on sand really doesn't amount to squat, but it DOES add up when trying to enter a downtown covered parking garage...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:29 PM   #2
Orv

Garage
I've done the kind of camping you talk about with 2WD. I've come close to getting stuck once, in a sandy campsite in Jawbone, but was able to rock the van out without airing down. This is with Nokian tires that are essentially a highway rib pattern, probably the worst case for sand traction. Some of the roads I've driven on with no problem would probably be impassible for me when wet, though, so I do keep an eye on the forecast.

If you use some judgement and stick to reasonably good weather you can probably do what you're talking about with a 2WD van and save some weight, complexity, and expense.

However, if you have your heart set on places that mandate 4WD you probably don't have a choice! Generally those mandates are there for a reason.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:40 PM   #3

I have a 2000 E350, with an AJ's 4x4 swap, 4:88 gears, true tracks in both axles, on 35s.

To address your height concerns, my van is 9" higher than it was stock on stock tires. I have a high top and roof rack, so the overall height is 10'.

Did you consider the Weld Tech Ocotillo Cruiser kit? Its only 3" of lift.

Before we did the 4x4, we did a lot of camping off forest service and BLM roads. We never had any real trouble getting around with the stock posi axle. I go rougher places now, but we had fun before. I live in Idaho, so we have a lot of rocky stuff and vertical component most of the places I like to go.

You can save money and still have a lot of fun with 2 wheel drive and a little planning.

The thing that gives me pause in this application is your 4.9. The lift, weight, etc. might cause your road performance to suffer more than you want. That's just me, I like my V10.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:06 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’d say not with your current rigs power plant, maybe go with a mild lift, slightly larger more aggressive tires, some sort of limited slip in the rear, although you might want to see what’s available for that fitment. Get yourself some recovery gear like traction boards, a rope, a compressor for airing back up and maybe a winch and you’ll be able to access most anything.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I’d say not with your current rigs power plant, maybe go with a mild lift, slightly larger more aggressive tires, some sort of limited slip in the rear, although you might want to see what’s available for that fitment. Get yourself some recovery gear like traction boards, a rope, a compressor for airing back up and maybe a winch and you’ll be able to access most anything.
Agreed.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
My concerns are this...

#1. 4wd conversion adds consierable weight, complexity, maintenance and reduces fuel economy such that it is. Plus at a minimum I would be going with the added expense of a rear axle swap or at the very least, extenders for the sliding door and from what I have seen those are rarely long enough...

Also, the ride can be worse after a 4x4 conversion -- especially with a short 4" lift like the Sportsmobile 4x4 conversion I have. This results in poor ride quality over bumps. The front solid axle just doesn't have much up-travel room under the engine before it hits the bump stops.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:54 AM   #7

It always depend on what you want to do. I am often impressed how far i can go with only 2wd (& low ratio) inmy rig as long it is dry. But i am also very often impressed how fast you can get stuck on wet grass or just at the side of the road. Traveling without 4x4 istaken you away from nice spots. Thats my experience.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:05 AM   #8

What's your front axle GAWR weight ? Seems that your engine might be a bit underpower for true 4wd ? Base your plans on that GAWR or "cathunk !? "
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:46 AM   #9

Different answer for each vehicle, driver, and scenario.

I just sold a 4wd van that I had only 'needed' 4wd a couple times in 12 years. It also had a selectable locker and was much more nimble than a Ford.

I just went through this decision myself, and have decided to go with a 2wd and posi/selectable locker with a rear mounted winch.

I'd rather not give up any more ride and drive quality than I have too. For me, this vehicle will be 99% driving across country and 1% finding somewhere to camp that noone else has. And I don't plan on doing any rock crawling with a 10k# E350, though I'm sure others do. I also don't want to make this thing much taller than it already is.

I'll also add that having low range is pretty awesome. I use several of my 4x4 vehicles in 2wd low for slow stuff.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:07 AM   #10

There are shops that will do a conversion south of the border for sub-$5k. Might be worth looking into on an old rig.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote