Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 09:24 AM   #1

Fresh and gray water tank questions.

So in my pursuit of electrical nirvana, I ended up with a single 400 amp hour battery instead of a pair of 200 amp hour batteries, which means with the spare tire removed from under the van, I will have an empty spot where the spare tire was.

I do have a class IV reciever hitch to install still, and once that is done I am planning on removing the spare tire winch / carrier and opening that space up.

That leaves me with a sizeable open space that I THINK I can use to install a fresh water tank, which would leave the space between the frame rail and sliding door foot well available for a gray water tank, or vice versa.

I have taken multiple CAREFUL measurements and I know I can get a 20 gallon long, and somewhat hangs down further than I would like water tank between the frame rail and footwell. I would like to have at least 16 gallons fresh onboard, and maybe 10 gallon gray water capacity.

My shower is external in an ensuite tent, I capture gray, when I have to or it is a good idea to, in a pop up doggie pool in the shower room.

This puts me in the position to wonder...

#1. What size tank will fit in the spare tire well, assuming I have no conflicts with the exhaust routing of course... I looked previously and seem to recall it runs outside of the frame rail behind the rear axle. What capacity?
#2. How would I go about getting gray water into the tank if I use the one between the frame rails for gray water as the line would have to go UP over the frame and then back down creating a trap of sorts.
#3. How can I get the gray water out of my doggie pool and into the gray tank? I am thinking a Harbor Freight manual fluid transfer pump into the sink drain.
#4. How do I set up gray tank dump? I am not going to be chucking large solids down the gray tank, larger food bits would be screened out just like I do at home. So would a simple 3/4" GHT ball valve and small garden hose suffice?

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:30 AM   #2

Ball valve will work fine, many do it. Some even use an electrically actuated one.

A small transfer pump might even be an option for your shower pan. They also make a 'Drill Pump' that is run by a electric drill, if you happen to carry a drill and/or driver onboard.

I've seen holding tanks designed for the spare location on transits and sprinters, maybe there is one that would work for the Econoline Spare well.

For gray water routing I like to avoid too many 'traps'. I have had issues with sink draining in the past. I did just recently see mentioned a vacuum break or check valve breather installed in the grey water fill line to help with that. I'm no plumber so maybe someone else can elaborate on their effectiveness.

Depending upon the grey tank used and it's placement, maybe you could do a 'bottom fill' going below the frame instead of over it. Or even through it if there is a hole available. I don't care for things that hang below the frame, but everyones use is different.

I have also toyed with the idea of doing a couple smaller grey tanks that could tuck up against the body and be joined into a single, multi-sectional tank to maximize storage while also reducing the amount of exposed tank below the frame. I'll come back to that after inspecting the underside of my van.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:28 AM   #3

Never heard of a spare tire replacement water tank, googled it, and whoah... They make a 37 gallon drop in with all the brackets and everything for the Sprinter. I am thinking I am going to end up with just some square-ish tank that is close enough in size and yours truly will likely have to fab the brackets...

It would be MASSIVELY labor saving to have a drop in kit for the E series vans. There are still lots of us out here.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:59 AM   #4

I just stumbled on this https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-10698-19.html You are going to want to browse to post #170 in that thread.

@86Scotty if you see this, what are the dimensions of the tank you are using? That is EXACTLY what I am looking to do! 25 gallons is perfect. Actually 20 would be good, 25 is just better. Same issue you found other than my OE stuff is just GONE.

Okay so I know I can do 25 gallons where the spare lives, and the spare will go on the back of the van, so next is... figure out the gray water.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:08 PM   #5

dbhosttexas -- link in post #4 appears "dead ?"
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
dbhosttexas -- link in post #4 appears "dead ?"
Okay so fixed, I hope. At least it works for me.

So after looking at 86Scotty's pics in that thread, crawling under my van and seeing what is there I think I get it. The spare tire carrier doubles as a very lightweight crossmember, My reciever hitch and the angle iron brackets for the water tank should serve that same purpose, so remove the carrier, which is attached with some of those giant steel rivets, so some quality time with the angle grinder are in order...

Maximum available space and stopping at where the back of the spare tire carrier is now to permit me enough room to service my trailer wiring comfortably is 35.5" W x ~28" D (leaving at least 3" clearance to the exhaust) and 10" H if I want the tank tight to the bottom of the frame.

I see the Class A Customs 25 gallon T-2500 33.5"L x 17"W x 10"H is sized right for this placement, although plumbing would be interesting to route as it would be more or less right up against the frame so some quck 90s in / out of the tank are in order.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #7

So does any company make custom sizes?
Old 02-14-2024, 05:48 PM   #8
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
#4. How do I set up gray tank dump? I am not going to be chucking large solids down the gray tank, larger food bits would be screened out just like I do at home. So would a simple 3/4" GHT ball valve and small garden hose suffice?
Most people use 3/4" garden hose for the gray tank drain. I prefer 1.5" instead because it drains quicker and is less likely to clog if any solids get in there, but it does make for a stiffer, more unweildy drain hose to store. (This is a readily available size for spa and pool hoses at hardware stores.)

I currently have a threaded fitting for connecting the hose, but I rented an RV in New Zealand that used a cam-and-groove fitting, and it was so convenient I may see if I can find something similar to use on my van. Hardware stores and industrial outfits like Grainger have a mind-boggling variety of fittings available in common sizes like this.

My tank is fitted with an RV-type slide valve but a ball valve should work fine.

It's easiest if you can make the drain come out the driver's side as that's where most RV dumps assume you have it. Mine is on the passenger side and I frequently have to go the "wrong way" through dump stations or back in. That said, this is only a minor annoyance.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #9

After much deliberation, I finally decided to go Full Class C. There will be a full shower/toilet surround in the rear driver's side oriented forward. All vertical dumps into the tanks are in-board of the frame rails. The dump outlets should be very similar to a standard RV configuration (1.5" Grey and 3" black). I'm pretty much starting with a blank canvas with the 2000 E-350 XLT EB with 16" steel reinforced raised top (and wheelchair lift at the side doors).

I'm planning on a Grey water and Black water on a EB behind the rear axle. After procuring an inexpensive petrol parking heater and removal of the rear a/c unit (made possible by Treligo 12V roof top air)
https://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-T.../dp/B0BB9G8VR2

it all just fits into place (I think)

33 gal Fresh Tank laying under passanger side bed.
https://www.classacustoms.com/33-Gal...Tank_p_39.html

18 gal Grey Tank under floor
https://www.classacustoms.com/WT-185...850_p_327.html

9 gal Black Tank underfloor
https://www.tank-mart.com/9-gallon-e...ing-tank-2698/

10 gal Manchester ASME propane with remote fill behind the axle.

The last figure is a side view of the tank hangers for grey/black. The grey is larger and closer to the rear tires improving ground clearance despite it being a full 10" deep. The black is in the rear and 6" deep. It will be possible to raise the 6" Black tank further but I'm not sure if it will change the approach angle.
Attached Thumbnails
LayoutTopView.jpg   TankMounts.jpg   Side Profile Dumps.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:50 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing those sources... those tanks are cheaper than I was expecting.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote