Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Actually this was my 2 & 1/2 tow. The first was a loose wire harness that punched a hole in my radiator on a very bad jeep trail. Lucky I had 18 gallons of water. It got me to the pavement and after 40 bucks worth of Sat phone calls I convinced them to tow me home rather than the same place you see in the picture. The tow service had to argue with GMAC that Turlock was closer than Sonora. They gave in. The 1/2 tow was the trip that SMB paid for to Fresno to fix their screw up. SMB should have paid for the complete tow. There was some real pucker power on that trip while getting off the hill.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #12

I’ve been doing a little research and from what I can see in the Ford Service Manual the IPR is the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator and it looks to be located on the left side of the engine behind the oil filter tube and exhaust heat shield. It takes a special socket to remove and install the IPR itself. The operation looks to be doable by most handy folks in the field, but would not be fun. The other item in this area is the ICP which is the Fuel Injection Control Pressure Sensor. This one is located on top of the right side valve cover and is easier to get to then the IPR. I still need to pull my engine cover and check out the access to these two things and then come up with a way to find out which one (if either) might be causing one to have to walk rather then ride.
I would be very happy to have some input from others that have experience with this no start problem and if there were any engine codes associated with the failure.
daveb, you indicated that the IPR was a sensor where my manual says it is the regulator and the ICP is the sensor. Any clarification on that and which one Ford replaced to get you back on the road?
I’ll post more when I get more info and also what these things cost.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #13

Scatter, I've been doing some research as well. There is more out there on the 6.0 than you can shake a stick at. The most usefull info I've found is here http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-17.php
Seems like the most common 6.0 breakdowns are all related to the high pressure oil system.

As far as I can tell the common problems are
1. ICP sensor failure
2. HPOP discharge fitting failure
3. HPOP failure or leak

I know that they changed the design on the turbo to correct design problems. I wonder if any of the HPOP issues may have redesigned parts available? I think I'll go have a chat with the diesel tech at my local dealer.

I'm also going to carry with me some spare parts based on this. I'll let you know what I come up with. WIth my luck I'll break down at Coco's corner or someplace like that. I want to ready when that happens. I'm also going to buy a small portable code reader to go with my travel tool kit.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #14

Here's another interesting article from the same site http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-07-08.php
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Scatter here is what the invoice said:
RETRIEVED CODE P2290 ICP LOW. MONITOR THE DATA LOGGER. ONLY 52 PSI. LOOK UP OASIS FOUND TSB 8-16-6. PREFORM AIR PRESSURE TEST AT THE PUMP HAS LARGE LEAK. NO CHANGE WHEN CYCLING THE IPR. REPLACED THE IPR. CLEARED CODES. RETEST PASS. ROAD TEST PASS. STEAM CLEAN.

FP NUMBER 5C3Z-9C968-CA----------------REGULAT 135300-------QTY-1
W300013-------------------------BOLT 848795-------------QTY-1
W300051-------------------------NUT-L 845202------------QTY-1
[EDIT] Ford said they did replace the ICP sensor while in there

BTW Ford charged me 100 bucks but sent me a check back for 100 dollars.
Dave.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #16

Dave,

Get a Scangauge. You can use it to read engine trouble codes as well as monitor information like trans. temp and fuel mileage.

I also have a table of engine codes for the 6.0 PSD in a PDF format which I keep on the laptop I carry. If anyone would like a copy send me an email and I would be happy to forward it to you.

John
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #17

Thanks for the info Dave. Me thinks I'll carry an ICP with me. When I get a chance I'll look at the hassle of changing it out on the road and if any special tools are involved.
More info as it comes available....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
I got a scan gauge John. Does it require a specific conversion book? I downloaded all the codes off the computer at work and printed them out.

Scatter I talked with a few of the diesel mechanics at work and all agreed that a sensor change out is doable in the field but reading the code doesn't mean that the sensor itself is out. In other words it could be an electrical problem as well as a pressure problem. So I guess if you were in a pinch it might be worth giving it a go, then on the other hand you might be wasting time. He did say my fault was not as common as a cam sensor going out and he suggested have on one (a cam sensor) on board just in case. I would be pissed if I had a problem and it was only a wire off and was something I could have easily fixed. At least I have a co-worker willing to come up and make a repair.
I will make it worth his time but somebody has to get him there.
Dave.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #19

Dave,

The Scan Gauge doesn't require any conversion to read trouble codes. It displays the codes straight from the OBDII system. If you would like it to display information that is not pre-programed into the Scan Gauge like transmission temperature there is some additional programing required. You can find the information on how to do this at the Scan Gauge website.

John
Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #20

Just to be clear, this is a 6.0 specific problem, right? Not a 7.3 problem, right? I have enough to worry about (like finding Scatter's place in Baja and whether or not he'll have enough Pacifico on ice or if I should try and bring some too) to worry about this pesky sensor problem.