Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2024, 12:47 PM   #21

Steve Hunt -- what's the round silvery device (photo) in your post #2 that says "Water" in blue ? Function - where purchased ? Have you calculated time it takes to heat your water tank from this device ? Battery drop when charging ?

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy98 View Post
I'm curious why you switched to the 200W element. I read the other thread and I'm wondering if the 25 amp rating on the thermostat was the concern or if it was something else.

The 300W 12VDC element overheated the fuse and melted the plastic fuse block.......200W element has been working great since the change. If you use something physically larger than a std ATO automotive type fuse I'm sure you could use a 300W element.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Then are the water heaters from threads (Home Depot - Bosch) the same "problem" - no bottom drain on these units ?
Some are and some aren't, from my research when I was looking for one. Most of the point of use style like you linked are designed for a residential (climate controlled) under sink environment in a house so they really never need to be drained and the manufacturers have quit putting drains in them. At least that's my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The 300W 12VDC element overheated the fuse and melted the plastic fuse block.......200W element has been working great since the change. If you use something physically larger than a std ATO automotive type fuse I'm sure you could use a 300W element.
I went with this 300 watt linked below and it's been working great but I did run 6 gauge cable from my bus bar and a 40A maxi-size automotive fuse IIRC.

I've been very impressed with how quickly it heats up the 6 gallon tank and how little it taxes my 300ah of lithium.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Anyone try this option? Use cook stove to heat a pot of water, pump it out of the pot in shower-form with one of these:

https://kickassproducts.com/products...ithium-battery

Might be a quick and simple solution if only needed occasionally. Would take up virtually no room to store. No new plumbing or tanks needed.

Sure.....that works.......I have friends who do that here and there.

It's just more work to get a shower.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:45 PM   #25

Okay, dumb question for those using a portable on demand heater like a Camplux etc...

Do you have any means to loop the heated water back into the van should you want to say use it in the built in sink?

My heater is a Joolca HOTTAP V2 Nomad Kit minus the sink / tub. I am thinking adding a hot in with a ball valve, GHT quick connect to the side of the van, and just use the Joolca quick connect Y fitting so I can go to either sink or shower...

Of course that thought process might be utter fertilizer so not sure...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
I am thinking adding a hot in with a ball valve, GHT quick connect to the side of the van, and just use the Joolca quick connect Y fitting so I can go to either sink or shower...
That sounds like a very good idea. Only caution I'd use is avoiding putting holes in the side of the van - can't undo those.

I'm going to do something similar, except in reverse. I'm adding a 3 way valve so I can pump hot water from the stove top to an outside shower at the rear of the van.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:48 AM   #27

dbhost texas -- what size propane do you use - or is it from propane mount tank under body ?
Old 03-11-2024, 11:50 AM   #28

N147LK - does that "KickAss" unit heat the water from a cold water source thru that "bump" on the hose thru batteries ? -- or just pump cold water ?
Old 03-11-2024, 01:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
N147LK - does that "KickAss" unit heat the water from a cold water source thru that "bump" on the hose thru batteries ? -- or just pump cold water ?
I don't have one, but I'm certain it doesn't heat the water. You would have to draw water that was already heated, such as from a stove or campfire.

I'm going to install a system where I can heat water on my indoor propane stove, then pump it from there to an outside shower. That way I wont need new tanks or any new plumbing.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Anyone try this option? Use cook stove to heat a pot of water, pump it out of the pot in shower-form with one of these:

https://kickassproducts.com/products...ithium-battery

Might be a quick and simple solution if only needed occasionally. Would take up virtually no room to store. No new plumbing or tanks needed.
That's exactly what my wife and I do for warm showers, works great! The shower takes up no room at all. great little unit.
crzmky is offline   Reply With Quote