Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #51

Re: Jacks/Airbag, Recovery Gear and Tire kits

Where to carry it may not be an issue.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #52

Just a few thoughts:

1) Placed ahead of the rear wheel, you are lifting way more than one corner and likely exceeding the jack's ability.

2) Placed where it is in the picture, the jack looks to be lifting on the van body as much as on the frame. The body won't support the weight of the van. Be thankful it didn't work.

3) The jack is placed directly under the muffler, did the jack push up on it and bend the exhaust?

4) Between the rocker panel and the frame, there is a huge open area as high as the van's floor. All that is in there is the exhaust. The top of the jack likely crowned much higher than what you see in the picture, wasting upward travel.

5) Just a guess. Is it possible that the hose popped off the exhaust because the jack was full and had reached its maximum capacity? It looks pretty full.

A picture us worth a thousand words.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
Just a few thoughts:

1) Placed ahead of the rear wheel, you are lifting way more than one corner and likely exceeding the jack's ability. I looked at the pictures and also pictures on some website and it showed I should place the jack where I did. The instructions say that also. But I will try a different place today and see if it makes a difference. I will say that in every picture I've seen, every vehicle has been smaller than a Sportsmobile. So maybe I will try the jack out on my Suburban also.

2) Placed where it is in the picture, the jack looks to be lifting on the van body as much as on the frame. The body won't support the weight of the van. Be thankful it didn't work.

3) The jack is placed directly under the muffler, did the jack push up on it and bend the exhaust? I was actually pushing up on the battery compartment, which also probably isn't a good idea. I don't believe I was touching the exhaust. That probably would have melted the jack somewhat. I will try to find a new place today.

4) Between the rocker panel and the frame, there is a huge open area as high as the van's floor. All that is in there is the exhaust. The top of the jack likely crowned much higher than what you see in the picture, wasting upward travel. That is true.

5) Just a guess. Is it possible that the hose popped off the exhaust because the jack was full and had reached its maximum capacity? It looks pretty full. Actually, no. It popped off easily the first and every time the engine revved up. It barely sits on there when the engine is not revved. And the air goes in really slow. I had to keep moving the hose to keep the air flowing through.

A picture us worth a thousand words.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Okay, I checked out the X-Jack today to see if it worked.
Wow, I think you might have just saved a lot of us from running out and buying an X-jack. What's is rated for?
Their website says it has a lifting capacity of 8800 pounds. Perhaps that is the problem. I don't know how much my van weighs, but, as you always say, I'm not lifting the whole van anyway. I will be trying some more options today to see if it makes a difference. (One of these days I should go to work and stop messing around with my Sportsmobile)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #55

You're right, the muffler is inside the frame rail, not between it and the body. But it is in line with where the jack is placed in the picture, so pushing it further in won't work either.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #56

This is the archtype photo for me:

Can you really not fit the jack on the van in this manner?

I would try to ensure that the frame crosses the jack as a diameter as close to the center as possible, rather than have the center in a space between two sections.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #57
Site Team

What's the max inflated height of the X-jack without any weight on it?

Herb
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #58
Site Team

I'm having all sorts of problems with the bag this morning. Yesterday I only used the first hose because I didn't need the distance. But I noticed in the Bushranger video they use both hoses even though the bag is next to the exhaust. So, when I connected the hoses I noticed the first hose has a solid plug at the end, hence no air going through the hose. The tiny hole is where I unscrewed a screw thinking the plug must pull out.

The other hose has a totally different opening

So I tried to inflate the bag using my compressor, but the bag doesn't have a plug for the hose opening in the bag.

I tried to put the hose with the plug in the opening, but it allowed air to escape. I've written an email to Bushranger to see what's up, but since they are in Australia I probably won't here from them until tomorrow. Good thing I didn't wait to test this thing until I was stuck out on some lonely dirt road somewhere. Now I'm off to purchase a Hi-Lift jack because it seems I will need one anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #59

I'm very much a novice with all this stuff, but what about placing the X-jack under the actual axle of the van? Would that give you anymore lift?

Back to the hi-lift jacks as this appears like a pretty good option are they designed to actually change the tire while the vehicle is in the air or is the idea to lift the van and then stick some jack stands under the axle. I drive a stock dodge extended van and am somewhat confused where I can safely attach the hi-lift as the manual says any lifting should always be done under the axle. However, with the hooks on the hi-lift it looks like I could lift via the tire and then stick a jack stand under the axle. love the fact the hi-lift can double as a winch.
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
I'm very much a novice with all this stuff, but what about placing the X-jack under the actual axle of the van? Would that give you anymore lift?

Back to the hi-lift jacks as this appears like a pretty good option are they designed to actually change the tire while the vehicle is in the air or is the idea to lift the van and then stick some jack stands under the axle. I drive a stock dodge extended van and am somewhat confused where I can safely attach the hi-lift as the manual says any lifting should always be done under the axle. However, with the hooks on the hi-lift it looks like I could lift via the tire and then stick a jack stand under the axle. love the fact the hi-lift can double as a winch.
L
Here's a link to an older thread that might give you some ideas/solutions.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4294&hilit=jack+stand

Herb