Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

[QUOTE=86Scotty;167775] Also, I wouldn't recommend running any furnace while the vehicle is running. QUOTE]

Hadn't thought of that, but my combustion air intake and exhaust are right above the exhaust pipe, but the hot air is recirculated within the van, so it shouldn't be an issue. By the way I'm running the Suburban. Another poster mentioned the noise and I can concur, it's a bit of a noisy beast. Other than that and it's being a bit bigger, it works fine within it's BTU limit. Still, I would like more space, quieter operation, a few more BTU's and a lower current draw. On anothet note, I have some experience with Espar diesel heaters as there is one on my boat. It's a D7L though, too big for a van. Still, it's just a bigger version of the smaller ones. It puts out plenty of hot air, but it too is a bit noisy, and parts are expensive. (at least for the D7L) It quit one November just prior to a month long trip from Alaska, and needed a new brain. A new one was just shy of $1K from Seattle. I said no way, and installed a direct vent Toyo diesel heater temporarally vented through a window. The entire heater, and all the parts needed were about $1300.00
Meanwhile, on the trip South I pried open the old brain box and upon close examination of the circuit board I discovered a bad solder joint. A few minutes later, we had two working heaters. Bottom line is that I never use the Espar, the Toyo (too big for a van) has to be one of the best heaters on the planet for bigger areas. It sips fuel, runs silently, uses very little electricity, heats the boat very quickly and has been as reliable as an anvil.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote