Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

Purchasing Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) w/ 1/4" Closed Cell Foam for Floor Soundproofing

I'm looking to buy:

- Mass loaded vinyl (MLV) 1 lb
- 1/4" closed cell foam

Ideally, I want a 54" x 10' roll for flooring and sound dampening on my cab floor and rear wheel wells.

If you've bought some, where? Any recommendations?

Are you looking to buy some in the Michigan/Ohio area? Read on.

The challenge with getting this material is it's heavy and demands high shipping charges. I've researched, shopped around and found some good prices, but the stuff is so heavy that shipping can be $75-150.

The best option and price I've found so far is here at Sound Proofing America - 54"x10' roll of MLV w/ 1/4" closed cell foam attached for ~$200 after discount with possible warehouse pickup:
MLV With Closed Cell Foam

I like this option for a few reasons:

- It's a roll of MLV w/ 1/4 foam backing attached- less work cutting 2 separate rolls of MLV and 1/4" foam and adhering.

- It's 54"x20' unlike many rolls which are 48" x 10' at a similar $200 price point (It's listed at $220 but there's a 10% MLV discount when you add the item to the cart, making it ~$200). The 54" may allow me to cut a SINGLE piece that reaches all of the cab AND the step wells.

- It looks like it may be possible for me to pick it up from their Cleveland warehouse and avoid the $130 shipping charge. On their website, they specify this possibility with their other MLV rolls, but this particular roll wasn't listed. I called and left a message to see if it's available. FYI: They also have warehouses in Lauderdale-FL, Boston-MA, Stockton-CA, Greensboro-NC, Houston Area-TX.

It will be a 6hr round trip drive and $45 in gas for me coming from Michigan, but I still think it's worth it since I'll be getting twice as much material at that price as many other offerings.

If I decide to go this route, is anyone else in the Michigan/Ohio area interested in purchasing any of these materials as well? I'd be happy to pickup the material and drop it off between Cleveland and Michigan or hold onto it in Michigan if that makes pickup any closer for you. Also, I think I'll only use half (10') of the roll. Let me know.

I've gutted an old van and am doing a home build. My cab floor had old carpet that was trashed. I have no stock vinyl flooring or liners. Right now, my cab floor only has 80mil Noico sound rubber butyl sound deadener on the metal- that's it. The next layer will be 1/4" closed cell foam and then mass loaded vinyl. If this enough, I may just use that as the flooring. Or, I may add additional layer of vinyl or carpet on the top.

A good resource for anyone doing sound proofing deadening:
https://sounddeadenershowdown.com/

A few other options I'm considering:

Super Sound Proofing Sales
Cheapest MLV price $45 for 54”x8’ + $108 ¼” foam 48”x9’ BUT $93 shipping = $246 total
Soundproofing Floors – Online Floor Impact Mat, Super-Seal Impact Isolator

Amazon: $220 total = $120 MLV (Trademark Soundproofing - 48"x10') + $100 foam (Noico Liner thinner 1/6" foam) with FREE shipping

Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
brp

I used the materials you describe on a 7.3 F450 and I think it was a marginal improvement. I can't remember the same of the supplier but it was around $200 as you say.

I am a sheet metal worker and we line some ductwork with 1/2" and 1" Armaflex Self Sealing duct liner. I have no doubt that stuff would kill noise, but it may crush over time on areas that receive traffic. It is peel and stick and boy it sticks, if you try it dona dry run to check your dimensions.

I would use the 1/2". We throw away enough scrap to do the floor of a vehicle everyday, you might call or check out the dumpster of local sheet metal or HVAC companies.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Garage
Did you check out cascade audio? Sounds like the same stuff or very similar here - Decoupled Floor Barrier Features A Closed Cell Foam And High Performance

Btw they are out of bend, OR.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

I've had the best performance using Quietride in a few different vehicles including the doghouse/firewall of my van (6.0 PSD).

PDF.js viewer

Here are similar sound deadening discussions from a few years ago.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...van-16773.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...use-19991.html

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Did you check out cascade audio? Sounds like the same stuff or very similar here - Decoupled Floor Barrier Features A Closed Cell Foam And High Performance

Btw they are out of bend, OR.
Thanks Jsweezy! I priced Cascade Audio (Zero Noise? website) in Bend. They were $270 for the same roll MLV w/ 1/4" decoupled foam 54"x20' with estimated shipping of $75-90 to Michigan. They were a similar price.

I ended up ordering from Sound Proofing America. $350 total = $220 + $130 shipping. Turned out they didn't offer that particular roll for warehouse pickup. 54"x20' MLV w/ 1/4" foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I've had the best performance using Quietride in a few different vehicles including the doghouse/firewall of my van (6.0 PSD).
Thanks ShuttlePilot! I think I may do the Quietride dog house engine kit. When I took mine off, my original stock heat insulator on the back of the dog house (fiberglass and foil?) has completely deteriorated.

I'm gonna use the MLV w/ foam for my cab flooring. I already rolled some Noico 80mil vibration dampening on my floor, wheel wells and wall panels. And my walls are already insulated.

If I don't end up with Quietride, I'll roll the Noico 80 mil as the first layer under the dog house, then maybe MLV but probably not, then a heat rated insulator of some kind.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I used the materials you describe on a 7.3 F450 and I think it was a marginal improvement. I can't remember the same of the supplier but it was around $200 as you say.

I am a sheet metal worker and we line some ductwork with 1/2" and 1" Armaflex Self Sealing duct liner. I have no doubt that stuff would kill noise, but it may crush over time on areas that receive traffic. It is peel and stick and boy it sticks, if you try it dona dry run to check your dimensions.

I would use the 1/2". We throw away enough scrap to do the floor of a vehicle everyday, you might call or check out the dumpster of local sheet metal or HVAC companies.
Thanks brp! I considered this route and sounds like the scrap would work well for a layer... But, I'm running out of time and decided to just take a hit on my budget. I live/work in Seattle but I've been making a few 4 week trips to MI where my van build is. I have 2 weeks left of this visit with the optimistic goal of getting the van functional enough to bring it out to Seattle later in January after a Xmas visit.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

@Marty,
Do you have a review of the products you used?
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #8

Marty,

Did you get the intended results with the product you purchased or would you go a different route?
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadener, mass loaded vinyl, mlv, sound, vinyl