Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 06:38 PM   #1

Starcool 110v Issue

Hey guys, I've dug through the forum until I'm blind but I haven't seen my exact issue. I have a 2000 E350 SMB that I bought last June. It had been well cared for and everything worked perfectly. The a/c blew extremely cold on dc and ac. It still does on dc, front and back. The last time we went out nothing concerning shore power Starcool works. No inside fans, outside fans, and the compressor doesn't vibrate. I have the driver side toggle in the off position, thermostat on cool pushed to the lowest setting and the fan on medium. The 110 outlet works and the inverter charges the battery, though I never hear its fan kick on. I've checked all the fuses under the sofa and tested the relays (I only found two). I pushed the micro-switches on the two fuse blocks. Nothing really happened there like a click. They just depressed and came back up. There is continuity through both block terminals. I made sure I had 12v at the thermostat and confirmed neither outside fans were siezed. I checked to make sure power was coming to and through the A/C breaker. I am connected to a 50 amp service via 30 to 50 amp adapter. What am I missing? If the capacitor or compressor box relay are bad, would that explain an entire shutdown of the 110 A/C system? The symptoms make me think this is something simple...bad ground or something, but I can't find it. Any insight would be much appreciated. Also, I apologize if this has been covered and that I didn't find that either. Thanks everyone.

Indigoism101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #2

The switch behind the drivers head needs to be on, both when on shorepower and 12 volts. I refer to it as the DRV switch, only because it is behind the driver side.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:42 AM   #3

+1 on the drivers side switch needing to be on. And is the rotary blower switch on, too? Essentially there are two on/off switches. The small toggle switch behind the driver is a convenience switch that overrides the rotary switch that turns the system on/off and sets blower speed.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:59 AM   #4

Its important too - that "both" StarCool system and chassis/Ford system must be running together or the chassis system will freeze up the condenser coils and cause problems.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #5

Greg, thank you so much. That did it. I guess somewhere between trips I had misremembered the sequence. I don't know how but I was certain the guy I bought it from said that switch had to be off for 110. No doubt I was conflating that with simply turning off the back air. Anyway, I ramble when I'm happy. Thanks again.

Roy
Old 04-12-2023, 07:50 AM   #6

Thank you. I'm beginning to get a clearer sense of the flow of things.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #7

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.